Tuesday, March 7, 2017

For Goodness Sake!

Today, I was challenged to write about "goodness."  As I typically do, I rely on Wikipedia or the dictionary to get an accurate description.  It seems that I have inherited from my father the tendency to mispronounce words and not understand their true meaning.  It can lead to some embarrassing situations, when others look at me quizzically as I mess up a word or its meaning.

 Goodness is "the quality or state of being good."  So what does "good" mean?  It means "a favorable character or tendency."  Then of course, the word goodness can be a substitute for "God" as in my OMG - Oh, my goodness!  Or as my title states, For goodness (i.e. God's) sake!  

I am ashamed to admit that I can not think of very many good things I have done for others lately.  Admittedly,  I am a self-centered person, my life revolves around me and I don't reach out to others. Most people I know would say that I am a "good person," not intentionally hurting anyone and I avoid speaking negatively about others.   Is it OK to tend to be a good person (favorable character) and not show favor or goodness to others?  Probably not.  

Being good denotes action.  Action involves going out of my comfort zone, the center of my self and being good to others.  There are so many ways of showing goodness to others, so what is holding me back?  Do I think my actions must be grandiose to qualify as "good?" Am I concerned about how the other person will react to my offers of goodness?  Part of being good is the action of freely giving without recognition or reciprocity.   

Recognition is important to me, I can't deny it.  Therefore, my "giving" is never free.  I need to work on that trait in myself, correcting it so that I can be free of shame, guilt and being self-centered.  I will admit and acknowledge these traits.  I will accept myself today as I am, knowing that I can be good to others and become aware of ways that I can show goodness to others. 

For goodness sake, this challenge is harder to write about than I originally expected.  














No comments: