Saturday, March 11, 2017

Celtic Charm

O' the luck of the Irish!  As luck would have it, I married an Irishman...100% Irish!  Or maybe I should say HE is the lucky one to marry a blonde, blue-eyed Scandinavian!  I saw a bumper sticker years ago in a gift shop, "Irish By Marriage."  I wish I would have bought it, but I didn't.  Yes, once you are in the realm of an Irishman, you are in their charming graces.  I have become a lover of the Irish and by my name DELANEY, I am Irish!

But don't we all love the Irish and their St. Patrick's Day festivities?  We dress in green, have parades and/or drink green beer.  Can we honestly think of any other nationality that has most of America celebrating with them?  So, it was no surprise that hubby found a Celtic Festival in Phoenix to attend this weekend.  Actually, I think there were several celebrations around.  

Now Celtic is comprised of six areas/countries of Ireland, Brittany, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and Galacia.





The Celtic are hardy people... they have suffered a lot of injustice and famine.  They carry on. They carry on with perseverance, intelligence, and charm.  

At the Celtic Festival, it was fun watching local dogs take their chance on winning the prize for being able to herd sheep.  It was interesting to see several people dressed in kilts, even a Scottish band marching down the street.  It was nice to listen to bands play Celtic music... a sound I have become very familiar with as we have numerous Celtic CD's in our own home.  But what was charming was Sister Ann, a nun, who teaches Irish dance to young people.  As we approached the stage, she was dancing and I could see that she was no spring-chicken.  About ten of her students came up on stage and danced.  She told us that she had been dancing over 75 years, thanks to the prompting of Mother Superior!  

Yes, we are never too old to dance!  How we choose to "dance" could vary from person to person.  Maybe, we will take on a job, start college, volunteer to help others, get our health back, or bring goodness to others.  

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,

And live like it's heaven on earth.”

Now, that is charming!





No comments: