Friday, March 24, 2017

Can You Hear Me Now?

The question, "Can you hear me now?" was part of a cellphone company's long running advertisement.  It was somewhat comical to those with great hearing, but the joke was not funny to those of us with a hearing loss. 

I had a hearing loss from a young age.  Hearing tests were routinely performed in school and it was determined that I had a major loss in my left ear.  So, I was placed in front of classroom on the left side so that I could hear the teacher better using my right ear.  I followed that habit of sitting up front and on the left for years in classes, church, and meetings.  It was and still is difficult to hear in a large room or restaurant full of people.  I think that’s why I wasn’t much of conversationalist and either seemed shy or stuck up.  I often can't hear what others are saying.  I didn’t break down and get my first hearing aid until about age 54 in 2005.

It seemed to help some, but conversations in noisy rooms and cars were (and still are) difficult.  Around 2010, I paid to have another hearing test done.  The doctor said, “I have good news and bad news.”  I choose the bad news first, my right ear had significant hearing loss too and my left ear was worse.  Well, what could be the good news?  He could refit my current solo hearing aid to use in my right ear.  OK, so that worked for a few years, but everything about my hearing kept getting worse.  In 2016, while at Costco, I noticed they had a hearing center in the rear of the store.  A hearing exam was free to members so I made an appointment.  I was fitted with two hearing aids.  I wish I could say it made all the difference in the world, but it didn’t.  

Yes, it helps, because when I take out my hearing aids, I am virtually deaf.  Just ask my husband if I can hear his “sweet nothings” in bed at night in the dark.  NOT!  

Reading lips and making sure that I face people when they are talking helps.  I use close captioning on the television.  People often think they have to speak louder when they have to repeat something for me.  But, that’s isn’t always true…. Speak slower and enunciate!  I guess I am one of the lucky ones.  My hobby of choice is photography and my eyesight is still quite good.  If I were a musician or teacher, I would have difficulty.  As it is, it’s still very difficult to lose one of your senses.  

I know that I am remiss on keeping in contact with family and friends by phone.  It has been difficult to hear on the phone and I usually have to lock myself up in a quiet room and/or use speakerphone.  Just the other day, while browsing the settings on my phone, I found a HEARING setting on the SOUND setting.  Lo and behold, I turned on the setting for use with hearing aids.  Yesterday, my mother called and usually trying to hear her is one of the most difficult, as she was a low, soft voice.  I could hear her loud and clear without being in a closed room or on speaker.  What a joyous moment!  

Watch out world, you may be HEARING from me, now that I can feel confident to talk on the phone! 



No comments: