Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Waterfalls!

When I started planning this trip I figured that the Columbia River Gorge between Washington and Oregon would be something we would skip.  However, after several people saying, "go to the gorge," changed our plans.  I am sure glad as we saw some awesome waterfalls.  Tip for those making this 20+ miles trip between Exits 22 & 44 on I-84.  Make it round trip and go I-84 one way to get views of the river and the rocky gorges along the way.  With more open area, you can really see the gorge.  Go the other way on Historic Hwy 30 and you travel country roads surrounded by huge trees and lots of waterfalls to stop and see.  

Here's some photos...some of them were very high, therefore, they look very far away and little!
Latourell Falls





Bridal Veil Falls

It was a "short walk" of about 1/3 mile up and down and back again.  We were both "hurting" after this jaunt.




Proof that we really made it to the falls!  :)



Wahkeena Falls



Multnomah Falls   The sun was shining right behind the trees at top, very difficult to get a photo without sun spots.







Horsetail Falls




This is view of the gorge area.  Very hazy today, not sure if that is normal or due to heat.  It was 98 degrees in Portland this afternoon.


When we got to Cascade Locks, we saw the Bridge of the Gods that crosses the Columbia.  This bridge was mentioned in the book and movie "Wild," as Cheryl Strayed's walk on the Pacific Crest Trail ended here.  Lo, and behold as we walked out of the restaurant overlooking the bridge, we saw a young lady walking up to the door.  She was dirty and had a back pack.  For some reason, I asked her, "Are you a hiker?  Where are you coming from?  How long have you been hiking?"  Answers - Yes, Kennedy Meadows (I remember that from the book) and 3 months.  Final question...."Can I take your picture?"  So, I met the newest version of Cheryl Strayed.


Due to changing our plans and deciding to go to the Gorge, it meant that we would be going through Portland, Oregon.  So I contacted Rebekah, my cousin (our mothers were first cousins) and we spent a couple of hours together at her house.  It was wonderful to see her after 40 + years since we last saw each other.  I know it won't be that long until the next time, I hope.  Good end to the day!


No comments: