Sunday, August 16, 2015

Cold Cash

Yesterday, I mentioned spending my cold cash today.  Somehow made the mistake of not noticing when I made reservations for the Washington State ferry that they cost $$.  All I saw mentioned was a $8 no-show fee if you didn't arrive at terminal at your reserved time.  So, I figured this system was like the one at Port Aransas in Texas, free to travelers.  Well, last night I was told the ferry is $50  one way.  Yikes!  I was not expecting $100 of my cold cash today and then again tomorrow.  Oh well, already had other reservations on San Juan Island so we had to go, right?  NOTE:  Ferry was $50 round trip for car and $13 for each passenger.  Still cheaper than $100+

On the ferry ride (an hour plus ride) we were privileged to meet Yukon.  He is part of the Northwest Battle Buddies and assists veterans suffering from PTSD.  Had a discussion with owner/trainer about the program.  Very interesting and educational for us.


At Friday's Harbor, we met my brother, Ron, who decided to spend a few extra days in Seattle area after a conference there this week.  Since we both had full cars, we weren't able to ride together.  Our first stop was at a Washington state park to take photos of the lighthouse there.  But they wanted $10 of our cold hard cash to park the car.  Not!  

Went down the road to National Historical Park and not much there. Here's Ron and Paul walking up to the lighthouse.  No beauty here, just function.


Started to feel frustrated with spending all this money  to get here and not much to see, plus it was a further drive between points than I realized and slower speed limit too.

So we quickly went back to Friday Harbor and got a sandwich to eat on the run, before our whale watching tour.  We took off in the boat with twelve "passengers set sail that day...for a three hour tour....a three hour tour." 

Well, it was cold out on the water and we went on and on and on!  I was sitting in my rain jacket and triple layers, thinking, "I just spent over $200 for Paul and I to take a boat trip out on this water...in the cold." 
Well, they did find a humpback whale for us to see.



But we wanted to see killer-whales and so it was another 30 minutes ride up the coast and finally we were rewarded with about 7 whales, 5 in distance.  NOTE: Pictures were taken on a rolling boat and at long distance and then trimmed up close.  Not picture perfect.





  

Of course I wanted to see the breaching and a few did breach and all I caught was the splash ....as there's no way to determine which whale will give us some action.


Here's the three of us....happy and satisfied. 


Stopped by and saw a sea lion on the way back to harbor.  

The islands are beautiful aren't they?  Oh yes, the sun came out tonight.  

Yep, a little...err a lot of cold cash was spent and I have a million memories to cherish!  Worth every penny.


No comments: