Thursday, August 13, 2015

Drive, Drive, Drive

Warning:  Today's blog will be more philosophical and spiritual than my usual travel blog.  I hope you will choose to endure this type of journey with me for a day.

Drive - a word with several meanings. Here's a few I will discuss today... 

  • Act of controlling a vehicle
  • Route, way or path between 2 places
  • A journey on roads
  • Motivation and the internal condition that activates behavior and gives it direction.
Today's drive is the longest distance between two points that we plan to go on any one day of this trip; from Bozeman, Montana to Wenatchee, Washington.   We are lucky that we are both drivers so even long distances are bearable and doable.  We didn't take any time to stop for photos along the way.

We did take the time to stop and visit a new friend, Danae.  Danae is only thirteen months old, but she and her parents have made me become a prayer warrior.  Now, I don't use that type of "religious" language often and I don't take it lightly.  Let me tell you a bit about Danae's "drive" (a journey) and her "drive (ability to motivate and activate behaviors).

Danae was born at 24 weeks, 5 days gestation and weighed 1 pound and 9 ounces.  She was 12 inches long (shorter than my laptop computer).  Her grandmother, Lois, is a former co-worker from Grantsburg and she started sharing posts on Facebook. Emily, Danae's mother, would write a posting so that family and friends could be kept abreast of Danae's condition and status, and Lois would share it.

It's always heartbreaking to hear of these very small preemies and the many that do not survive.  I think it was last fall that I started praying daily for Danae.  I can truthfully say that up to the point I was sporadic in my praying for other people's concerns.  With daily update posts, I was reminded each night to pray for Danae.  

Danae's journey was not easy on her or her family......numerous and lengthy stays in hospitals....stays in a hospital in another state.  There were many days that I thought I would see a posting from Grandmother that Danae had died.  But Danae had the drive to keep going and getting healthier.  And her mother, Emily, was a driven-woman herself...staying with Danae constantly and searching and demanding the medical staff to find solutions to Danae's complications.

In addition to Danae, I found myself praying for others....hubby's brother-in-law with cancer; my nephew in prison; my brother-in-law who had surgery; my sister who needed a job.  Now, I almost need my file manager so that I don't forget anyone.  But I know that God is good and he knows my prayer desires even if I forget someone one night.  It has changed my prayer life.  Now, I can honestly say, "I will pray for you" and mean it.

Yes, Danae started a drive...almost like a fund-raising drive.  But instead, it's a prayer-raising drive.  She has motivated me to think more of others (activates behavior and gives it direction).  

When I knew that we were going to travel through Montana today, I asked grandmother, Lois, if she thought we might be able to stop and meet Danae.  She coordinated it with Emily and here's the sweetie Danae with me.  Danae is still on oxygen, so that her lungs can become stronger.  And we know they will become stronger just as she is doing in all ways.

And here's Danae with her mother Emily.  God bless them both!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad you took the time to stop and see our little sweetie. I appreciate the words that you wrote about your visit, Danae's journey and how it has impacted your prayer life. I think there are probably quite a few who could mirror your words after seeing and watching her for these many months since she was born. Just to see the succession of pictures since day 1 that I have had printed and put in an album is amazing. I hope your journey to Washington proceeded without delays or problems. Enjoy the journey!