Monday, August 10, 2015

Lots of Wildlife

We saw lots of wildlife today.....buffalo, deer, burros, antelopes, and prairie dogs.  It was a great day, weatherwise too!

Left Hill City, SD and went on the Needles Highway.  Great road for twisty turns and lots of rocks.  The highway is called Needles due to this rock formation that has the "eye of a needle" in it...actually two holes.


Here's some other scenes from the highway.




And of course, beautiful Sylvan Lake.


Went to Custer State Park set in rolling hills of South Dakota...kept expecting the stage coach to appear over the hills.


Then lots of buffalo and close up too!  Another "wow" moment for both hubby and I.



This is just a few of the hundreds of buffalo we saw in one place.



Notice the bird on the back of this buffalo.  LOL




Then it was on to see the burros, very assertive they were!



Upon leaving Custer State Park, we saw a momma deer with three fawns (photos didn't turn out the best) and we didn't see another adult female and so we're wondering if we witnessed another set of triplets.  


Now we're in Wyoming - Forever West!  If you followed my trip blog of last year, you may recall that I got myself in a bit of pickle with the law when I trespassed (unknowingly) on a farm to take a photo of old barn.  I saw this house and barn in the distance and I even took a photo of the road sign so that I couldn't be accused again of trespassing.  Sure glad I took the time to drive down the gravel road for my first barn picture of the trip!


Devil's Tower


This is my last reference to The Biker's Rally...here's the most unique bike we have seen all week.  Even bikers were stopping to take a photo.  It is quite low to ground and FULL of do-dads and badges!


Can't forget the prairie dogs that so graciously modeled for us.  


Finally, a couple of signs that only my family will appreciate....a hotel in Custer, SD and the restaurant where we ate in Hulett, WY.  




No comments: