Sunday, August 9, 2015

Full Throttle

Several have expressed bewilderment or wonder at hearing that hubby and I are planning be traveling and visiting until September 13th.  I guess you could say we are going "full throttle" through life and loving the wind in our hair as we go on our trip!  Bet you can guess, we were quite surrounded by bikers for most of the day.

Today, we started early at Mount Rushmore, another first for hubby.  Hey!  I even got my second "Wow!" from him. :)  Yesterday, he said, "Today was not the first time I've said, 'Wow.'"   Well, maybe not, but the first that I can recall him saying it in a long time.  




We enjoyed seeing a movie and viewing the exhibit on the carving of the monument.  Here's one of the "chairs" that the workers sat in as they were suspended over the top of the mountain to drill, insert explosives, and do their part in the carving.   Quite a flimsy chair, I would say.


Then we headed north to Deadwood.  Ran into fog and heavy mist.  Deadwood was "dead" as far as biker action....very few bikers.  Even so, Deadwood is a beautiful town.


Of course, we had to stop in at Saloon #10 where Wild Bill was shot and killed.


While in the Deadwood area, we found Central City, a very small hamlet built on the side of the mountain.  Here's an old church...that looks older and calmer in the fog.


We are quite sure that this ladder propped up is the entry to this house, as the ladder looks too new to just be a joke.  Sure glad it's not my house.


Then we went to Sturgis, which is celebrating it's 75th anniversary of the motorcycle rally.  There were still a lot of bikes, people and tents set up selling everything you could have wanted for biking....including "intimates."  Hmmm!  Here's a photo taken as we drove through the town.


A visit to Sturgis was not on my bucket list.  However, I have family and friends that have gone there during the rally and I was interested.  So when I realized that our travel plans would coincide with the rally, why not visit?  Today was the last official day of the rally.  In researching on Tripadvisor, I found that one of the top things to do, besides the rally, was go to the Full Throttle Saloon.  I found out that there is a reality TV show filmed here, but have never seen it.  I had been told that we probably wouldn't find a place to park our car even close to the saloon.  But we got a front row parking place, behind the bikes of course! Again, crowds were gone, but there were a few bikers still hanging around....including this giant sculpture.



Headed to Rapid City and met my nephew, Tim and Tawnie, for lunch! As much as I adore their four children, it was nice to have time for the four of us to visit and talk.  Wonderful!  



No comments: