Sunday, July 29, 2007

Yesterday, I ended my blog with, "I didn't know I could do it."

When I started this project, I was taking a leap of faith that I would see some success. I was not sure I would make it a week, much less a month. I was taking it a day at a time, which is well and good in many respects.

I read an magazine article last night that got me thinking. A person has to find their vision. "Nothing really big, bold, or beautiful was ever created in a country, a company, in a family, or in a life without a clear picture of what it would look like." The author, life coach Gail Blanke goes on to tell the story that Walt Disney had a vision of what Walt Disney World in Florida would be like and "he had the workers built the castle first as the castle was where the magic would be and Disney seemed to think that if the designers, the engineers, and the workers had the castle to look at for inspiration, they could do all the hard stuff it would take to bring the Magic Kingdom to life."
  1. Answer this question: "If absolutely anything were possible, what would I love to happen in my life, my work, my relationships?" I have a weight on the scale in mind. I have a fitter, trimmer me in mind. I have habits of a healthy person in mind. I have a peace-filled, balanced person in mind. That is my vision.
  2. Build the castle: Imagine what I feel like in my "castle," what I would be doing, who would be with me. I have written down the details, even the shouts of "I did it!" and the big hug from hubby.
  3. Set the date: Write down the exact day, month, and year when I will have brought my vision to life. My date is April 28, 2008.
  4. Commit: "Reaching your castle is not something you're just thinking about. Make a detailed plan and follow it."

The article goes on to describe how "you'll need a detailed plan to reach your goal." The "commitment" part. Here's a method the author uses:

  1. Take a blank piece of ruled paper. On the top line write your vision. Put a deadline date next to it. On the bottom line, write today's date.
  2. Now ask yourself these questions: "What would have happened just before I reached my goal? What did I do right before I got there?" Write the answers on the second line, below your vision.
  3. Now proceed line by line down the page, asking yourself, "And what would have happened right before that to make it possible?" Fill in the answers as you go along and keep writing until you reach today's date. Don't be tempted to start at the bottom and work your way up. It's much harder and less productive.
  4. Repeat the same exercise using different answers. This will will give you more than one path to take and different options to pursue if there's a bump in the road.
  5. This is your map, your plan. Follow it with boldness, joy and the anticipation that you will succeed.

I thought these steps are worthwhile repeating to myself and whoever reads this blog. It's a combination of being a visionary and yet taking it a day at a time, a step at a time.

In another magazine, I read what Bob Greene, author of The Best Life Diet has to say this: "Work toward leading a fulfilled life today. That will naturally make you want to be healthy. .... So do a little self-discovery. Look at what brings you joy and what isn't going so well. Have a life plan as opposed to a weight plan. Next figure out how active you're willing to be, and how much time you can devote to exercise. Then balance the calories - but don't deprive yourself. I've never found anyone who should be eating fewer than 1500 calories. Finally, set realistic goals, or you're bound to fail. Adjust your thinking about what's healthy for you, given your genetics. Some of the healthiest people on the planet are heavier than what we claim is ideal. Being realistic is not only important, it's empowering."

AMEN! I know that the vision/castle that I have of my weight on the scale would totally freak out some people. "Oh, my God, she weighs that much?!" Even though that weight will still be considered "overweight" in many standards, it my vision. It's my reality. I don't even remember now who in my past told me, "Perception is reality, but I have used that term many times. The way you perceive things is your reality. The way I perceive the same thing is my reality. We can't change or take away the perceptions that we each have.

I need to remember it's MY castle and it belongs to no one else! They may share the enjoying of my castle, the peace-filled, healthier me. They may share in my journey to my castle.

No comments: