Sunday, July 22, 2007

Persistence

This morning on the way into church, we passed this vine seemingly growing out of the cement and out onto the driveway. The first word that came to mind was "persistence." Can you imagine that young tendril of the plant as it first came out of the ground into the crowded mass of plants?

"Momma, I'm here! Can you see me? You have so many other seedlings growing in this box, how am I supposed to move? I can't breathe!"

"Well young lady, you'll just have to make do. Everything in here is growing so fast and so big, I can't take care of all of you at once. Do the best you can, OK?"

"OK. But it's not OK, maybe I should go back where I came from... the earth. Wait a second, I see some light through that tiny hole over there, maybe if I get really close, I'll be able to get some fresh air. Awwww, that air feels good. Maybe if I just stretch a little further, I'll get more air and sunshine. Ouch! this cement and brick are sharp on my back."

"What are you doing there? You're going to hurt yourself and get stuck in that hole. Come back here, right now!"

"I can't Momma, it's too late to turn back and besides this hole is too small to try and turn back. I'm going to find out what is at the end of this tunnel. Don't worry, Momma, I'm willing to take the chance. I've already grown two inches, I'm ready for adventure."

A few weeks later...... "Wow! What a view and lots of sunshine. The rain gutter above me drips water on me now and then and I feel so vibrant. I wonder how far I can go out here? Oh, don't step on me. Yes, I am pretty, aren't I? That lady called me 'persistent,' I hope that's a good thing because I really worked hard to get through that wall and it's so worth it. Thanks for taking my picture, I hope that I can be an inspiration to you"

No comments: