Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Plan to Balance

Here's a quote from Guideposts magazine that Robin Miller, from the Food Network, wrote:

"In my career, writing cookbooks and eventually appearing on television, I was determined to help people develop healthy relationships with food. There are no 'taboo' foods - unless you have a medical condition that requires a special diet, like diabetes. Otherwise, it's all about balance. And balance isn't the same as control. I eat lots of vegetables and fruit. I believe it's essential to exercise and eat healthy. But it's impossible to do that if you feel anxiety about food. You should love your food! People often ask me what they should cut out of their diet. 'Nothing,' I say. 'Take longer walks instead.'"

I think that there is a lot of wisdom in this message. I have been expressing basically the same concept for weeks now. I have not called my lifestyle change a "diet" because that word/concept gets me feeling anxious about my food. The thought of "diet" brings on feeling of deprivation, then despair - "I want that, why can't I have that?"

BUT I am beginning to realize that in my "balancing" of food, I need to eat less of certain foods or cut them out of my food plan entirely in order to LOSE weight. Yes, food is not "taboo," however, some foods may be "triggers." Triggers to our system and psyche to eat more. For some people it may be sweets, others it's flour, others it's meat..... the list can go on and on! Some of us may know right off the bat what our trigger food is, others of us discover as we go forward. I gave up my nightly snack of ice cream as soon as I started this lifestyle change. I thought it would be a struggle, however after the first week, I have hardly missed it. However, the "nightly snack" habit is still a thorn in my side. Lately, I have been having mixed nuts. Now, I know that nuts are a healthy snack for fiber, they are not "taboo." However, one nut equals twenty nuts for me. I can't have just one. Nuts are a trigger for me.... to want more. Even if I measure out the nuts for recording fat grams and calories, I will still go and get more. It's a food that I need to avoid or cut out of my diet.

DIET Die-it That food needs to die (go away) from it - my food plan!

Another thing I have realized in my own life and now in reading emails from others is how much an effect the lack of planning has on our lifestyle, our eating habits, and our ability to make changes in our life - such as lose weight. Before I know it, I have chowed-down this or that, then the remorse comes later or the insight comes later. Remorse may be a strong word, but it seems appropriate many times. Remorse may be the the basis of bulimia. The insight becomes a questioning of myself. Why can't I THINK before I act (eat)? Why can't I PLAN instead of being compulsive?

Compulsiveness is the basis for the need of groups such as Overeaters Anonymous or Alcoholics Anonymous. Yes, I have tried Overeaters Anonymous, but I did not recognize my own compulsiveness as I was rejecting their concept of "obsessiveness." I don't eat a whole bag of chips, cookies, pasta, etc, etc.... in one setting.

Getting back to my original thought, PLANNING takes work. It takes effort. It's sometimes much easier to fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants and EAT whatever we want (i.e. compulsiveness). Planning is the basis of balance ... which is what I think the author, Robin Miller, was promoting in the quote above. By planning my food, I can determine and decide to have a balance of foods. This plan or balance may include more of one type of foods and less of another. Each person is different so I can't determine any one's food plan other than my own. It has been trial and error for me and I'm still learning.

Peace!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I've always hated the word diet, but changing my eating habits doesn't sound as scary. I know it is better to eat several smaller meals/snacks per day, that way it gives a jump start to our metabolism. The key is to eat healthy foods. I've seen those low carb diets that say NO carbs, but our body needs carbs they should be good ones from fruits, etc. Don't worry about the plateau, just keep what your doing and in no time, you'll start losing again.
Love ya, Rachel