Monday, August 20, 2007

Buddies

I have quite a few "buddies," best friends in my life. I also call them "sisters," although some of them of are only sisters of the heart. However, my sisters of my family are my buddies too! How lucky can a person get?

I have six sisters and one brother. I am the oldest and the youngest two (twins) are seventeen years younger than me. There were a few times that strangers would mistake me for their mother when they were infants. My sisters and I have an annual weekend get-away to have fun, laugh, cry and shop. We usually go to a different location every year because we get quite rowdy. We laugh hardily and loud, so we always get a stand-alone cabin or house to stay in so that we don't disturb the neighbors. Anyway, we have had 8 weekends & this October will be our ninth WWW. WWW stands for Wild Women's Weekend. I think that name got started about our 3rd annual weekend when I found these pins for all my sisters that said "Wild Women Don't Get the Blues."

There are some in our family that are "wilder" than the others, and that would be the five oldest. Somehow the wild genes in the family dissipated when it got to the twins. Maybe because mother was actually on birth control for three plus years before they were conceived. Maybe because there was actually a break in the action (births in the family) by four years between them and their next oldest sister. Maybe because they (the twins) saw all the trouble we older ones got into and caused. The twins actually act their age unlike the rest of us!

Anyway I have gotten off the subject a bit, but I consider the twins my buddies. Robyn reminded me that when they were seniors in high school, I had moved back home from California and stayed with my parents and them until I figured out where I was going to work and live. That fall of 1985 we three would get up and go walking about a mile and a half before they headed to school. We would swing our arms and pretend to be grabbing an imaginary good-looking guy in front of us.... his TUSH! "Tush, tush, tush," we would repeat as we swung our arms. We probably never got up our speed of the walk, because we'd start laughing.

My walking buddies and I are walking again. Robyn is in central Wisconsin, Raylene is in northern Wisconsin and I am in southern Texas. Thanks to email, we are going to report to one another about our walk/run every day. We're going to be accountable to one another on our exercise and our food. It should be interesting. I think I'm going to imagine Tom Selleck's tush in front of me.... OOOO WEEEE! You can't stop me now!

Oh, that's right, I'm married. Sorry, hubby, I can grab your tush anytime. Let the Wild Woman in me not get the blues! Peace.

3 comments:

Robyn Austin said...

Who the heck is Tom Selleck? Isn't he that old guy who used to wear Hawaiian shirts on some TV show? Just kidding, Rayna. I know you treasure your autographed picture of him!! Whatever gets you through the walk, Buddy! Keep up the good work =)

Rayna Delaney said...

I don't even now where that autographed picture is now! Probably in some "momento" box of which I have about a dozen boxes.

Rachel Hedberg said...

Thanks for this great story. It got me out this morning squeezing some tush. I have not been walking since I put my dog to sleep in December and this was a great day to start walking again. Maybe a few of us will look better by our WWW 9. Thanks again! Love ya!