Monday, August 27, 2007

Darkness & Doubt

I read with interest the article that describes Mother Teresa's decades-long battle with darkness, doubt and spiritual drought. Who would have thought? I was certainly surprised.

I am certain that most of us would doubt the existence of a loving God if we, like her, had witnessed all the poverty, illness and starvation in India. Yet she continued to serve God's people throughout her life. What a noble woman!

I agree with the people that think that her letters should be made public, it has already brought inspiration to me. To think that a woman-of-God, who dedicated her life to serving God by serving humans, had cries of anguish and could be honest about her thoughts and feelings is remarkable. What a remarkable woman!

Mother Teresa was honest with God. In my previous blog entries I have expressed my doubts and spiritual drought, and I gather comfort in the fact that I am not alone in these experiences. It reminds me of an old motto, "Christians are not perfect, just forgiven." What a powerful word.... forgiven. If we confess our sins to God, we will be forgiven. The slate of sin is wiped clean.

Mother Teresa was not perfect. What a human woman! May this "human" side of her open up the dialogue for doubters like me to express & feel God's love in the forgiveness. May this "human" side of her open up the windows and doors to shed light on my darkness. May this "human" side of her open up the dams of refreshing water to rid my life of spiritual drought. May the experiences of Mother Teresa open up our hearts and minds to God's love.
Peace.

No comments: