Sunday, August 19, 2007

Donation

Let me say this upfront, I am a selfish person. I do not donate items to food shelves. I do not donate time to worthy causes. Basically, I do not donate much of anything unless I might get some thing in return such as in a raffle. For three years hubby & I donated almost every Friday night to help run a meat raffle so that we could raise money for our lake sportsman's club. The money was used for scholarships for area graduates. The main reason I stuck with that for that long was because I could drink beer while I was "working" and when I bought a paddle (ticket), I might win some meat for the freezer.

I have felt guilty about not donating more, especially to food shelves. I think every church we have been involved in has asked for donations to the local food shelves and I seldom have brought anything. I usually forget until it's the Sunday for contributions. Even my previous employer asked for canned goods just before our annual Christmas party. I always remembered to bring food then because I would get an extra ticket for the prize raffle. I told you I am selfish!

So, I think hubby was surprised when I told him a few weeks back that "when I lose 10% of my weight, I'm going to donate that many pounds of food for the food shelf at church." Two weeks ago, it was announced that this Sunday's contributions should be canned meat. I knew that I was close to my 10% goal, so I started thinking of what I could get.... canned ham, tuna, chicken, etc. Friday night I went to the store and I bought my canned meat. It took a lot of cans to make up the number of pounds that I lost. It almost looked ridiculous in my shopping cart. So today I brought them into church. I told hubby that I wanted to bring all these cans into church so that I would know how much more I weighed just 8 weeks ago. Granted, there some extra weight for the cans, but those cans of meat were down right heavy! I know people could probably see the strain on my face of carrying them and of course, hubby looked kind of foolish walking in with nothing in his hands. But I did it! I carried those cans of meat and thought of all that extra weight I carried around day after day just 8 weeks ago.

I found myself looking forward to the next 10% and being able to donate twice as much as I did today. Heck, it felt so good donating, maybe I'll start doing that type of thing more often. Peace!

1 comment:

Rachel Hedberg said...

Did you feel like Oprah? Remember when she lost all that weight and pulled a wagon full of all that FAT? She looked rediculous, but she felt good too! You should be proud of yourself and remember your not selfish, you've also been willing to help any of us out! We love that quality in you!