Monday, February 13, 2017

Limbo

Stepping down the stairs with the grace of a beauty queen looking out at all her admirers, I enter the pool of turquoise water.  My arms move rhythmically through the still waters and gentle ripples move out to make room through the swarm of admirers that try to touch me.  As I descend in the waters, my lacy dress billows out around me creating a whirlwind of color that blends with turquoise.  As my shoulders are covered with a shawl of water, I lift my feet and throw back my head with a winner's smile as I reach for my queen's scepter.  My arms are extended to thank my admirers as they carry me through the crowd.  I am light as a feather and move effortlessly through it all.  As I close my eyes to enjoy the muted sounds of the crowd, I see the bright color circles of spotlights through my eye lids.  My hair moves and swirls making a crown at my hairline. Yes, I am the queen!  

Splash!  Water in my mouth!  Warning!  Dreaming interrupted, as I bolt upright and look around for the naysayer in the crowd.  Who's that? How could they splash the "queen?"   All I can see are several humankind like me and no one seems to look like a naysayer or culprit. Oh, well! 

A couple of days (here in Arizona) were warm enough to go to the pool for a couple of hours.  Every time I go to the pool, I chastise myself for not going more often.  Floating in the pool is one of the most enjoyable activities that I can do.  Actually, I don't do much activity at all.  I float and I am a dang good floater, thanks to high body density and fat galore.  But when I am in the pool floating, I feel light as a feather.  With my ears in the water (and hearing aids out), the world's sounds are muted and mostly absent.  I close my eyes and see a microscopic slide of red blood cells all squirming in my sight.  The ripples of water makes my hair swirl like silky seaweed.  Yes, I am in limbo, being held up between the heaven and earth, air and water.  It feels so good. 

I have been thinking about this experience and I was not sure how to write about it and describe it, so I resorted to imagination!  Yes, when I am in the pool, I feel like a queen with all the glory of the world at my fingertips. I just hope my scepter does not rust.  

No comments: