Friday, February 17, 2017

Fear

At the RV resort that we are staying for the winter, there is a weekly Creative Writing group.  I have been attending and it has gotten my creative juices flowing again.  Today, we had a guest author that has written a few books in the genre of self-help.  I have been interested in this for years and I have helped myself through reading this type of book many times.  I am eager to read her book and guidebook soon.  Self-help books often come with guidebooks, so that we really get down to the nitty-gritty of our lives.  

She answered questions about publishing, and more importantly about writing.  Writing is not for the faint of heart, that's my philosophy.  Especially if you decide to share your writings with others in a group or on a blog.  

During my life, I had moments of timidness and moments of boldness.  Writing is bold!  Even if the subject is soft, cuddly, tearful and sad, the author is bold.  To be able to put words together and either make people smile, laugh, cry and most importantly empathize with the characters or thoughts is remarkable.  I don't claim to be able to do this YET.  But I am bold enough to try.  

If I am so bold, why did I label today's blog FEAR?  Most writers and basically, we humans have a fear of exposing ourselves to others.  Exposing our family is another fear.  We may talk about the "good life" that we have and not disclose the fears, sadness, or anxiety that we really feel.  It is possible, probable is more like it, that the author's inner feelings come out in their fictional characters.  In the forward of every fiction book is the disclaimer that states that none of these characters are for real.  Guess what?  Anyone close to the author will wonder if one of the characters is really based on them.   I don't think an author can write some of things they have written without experiencing it first hand in their own or other's lives.  

Overcoming fear is a huge catalyst to writing a self-help book.  The author has to deal with inner demons and be able to express how they overcame them.  If not, the reader won't be helped. Spilling your guts is not for the faint of heart.  Even my writings on this blog cause me to feel like I have spilled my guts.  How will people react to my "guts?"    

Putting myself and my thoughts out there in WWW -World Wide Web (i.e. public) is something I have chosen to do.  I know there are people out there that will think I'm crazy, others will think I'm caring, others will think I'm a character.  I have overcome some of that fear, thanks to my younger sister that is truly an author of her own blog.  I may only write this blog and a few pieces for the writing group, but I hope to continue this cathartic process.  I am BOLD, I will overcome my FEAR to help my life and the lives of others around me.  



No comments: