Thursday, February 16, 2017

A few years ago, there was an in-service at my former job.  For some reason, I only remember that the presenter talked about yellow cars and how few there are in the society.  "Now," he said, "you will see yellow cars everywhere.  At least half of you of you will see a yellow car on your way home today."   I tried to think of the last time I had seen a yellow car and I concluded there are not very many in the area where we lived.  On my ten miles drive home, I saw at least two yellow cars!  For some reason the  power of suggestion makes us very aware of some things.

Today, hubby and I visited Taliesin West, the home and architecture school that Frank Lloyd Wright built and started in the Arizona desert.  When built in 1937, the Taliesin was a distant settlement from other civilization.  Old Scottsdale, original downtown, is almost ten miles away.  Those men that wanted to join his school had to sleep out in the desert in tents, so that they "could get accustomed to living in nature."  F.L.W. felt that his designs and the designs of his students were to be incorporated into nature, not stand out obtrusively.  He called for homes to be built in the "brow" of the landscape, not on top of hills.  In fact, taliesin means "shining brow" in Welsh language.  Homes that blended with nature, including the use of many natural materials in his home.  He was known as the "king of concrete," and he used a lot of local rocks in the cement walls.  He became world famous and his designs were many and shining in the communities they were built.  

I have always been interested in the profile of his homes.  You may not know that I love to design homes, just for fun!  I did design our homes in Wisconsin (prior residence) and in Texas.  In fact, I am designing one now (in case I win the lottery) that has similar elements to F.L.W.'s homes.   So, of course, I was very interested in visiting Taliesin West.  Taliesin East is in Spring Green, Wisconsin.  Hubby and I are already planning a visit this summer.

The other day I blogged about V words, words with the letter V in them.  Just like yellow cars, I am seeing words with the letter V in them popping up everywhere.  In 1940, F.L.W. wrote The Organic Commandment and it contains the word Virtue.  What a strong word, yet seldom used today.   I leave you with this food for thought.

Love is the virtue of the Heart
Sincerity, the virtue of the Mind
Courage, the virtue of the Spirit
Decision, the virtue of the Will


No comments: