Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Wild, Wonderful and Winding West Virginia

Here's a better photo of the West Virginia welcome sign


After driving through West Virginia today, I have to add WINDING Roads to their slogan too!  Up, down and around curves we went!  Gazing at hills/mountains full of trees and periodic valleys full of farms and old barns!  :)

Here's a couple of the old barns I captured today in WV.  






Yes, I do take some photos through the car window.  

On the map I had highlighted Beartown State Park in West Virginia.  I couldn't remember what we would see there and since it was 20+ miles off the beaten path, I Googled it last night.  It was a cloudy and cool day 50-60's temps.  It felt good to put on a sweatshirt at the park and we were the only ones there.  Here is what we saw, another example of nature's treasures.  


A boardwalk went under and over and around these formations of rock. 



It was like a rain forest in there and moss, lichen and ferns growing on rock and trees everywhere.  

And finally, on this photo, I was not holding my camera crooked.


After we left this and THEN looked at my itinerary and I had this spot listed and I found it my book, "Off the Beaten Path."  How lucky can we get?

We waved 'good-bye' to West Virginia and said 'hello' to Kentucky who's motto is "Unbridled Spirit.'


We are staying tonight near Lexington, "Horse Capital of the World."  Going to explore more of Kentucky tomorrow.  I don't think we need to get "unbridled,"  we are full of spirit as it is!

No comments: