Wednesday, July 30, 2014

LBL - Land Between the Lakes

Traveled to western Kentucky today to explore Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area.  The lakes are Lake Barkley made by a dam on the Cumberland River and Kentucky Lake made by a dam on the Tennessee River.  

When we lived in Georgia and traveled Up North to see my family, we would pass this area on the freeway.  Of course never enough time to stop and see more, until today.  There are not as many spots to view the lakes as I expected or hoped, but it was a nice drive through the countryside.  One area has been fenced off and is "home" to bison and elk.  Of course, after paying, we notice the sign that says the animals are wild and not to get within 200 feet of them or subject to a fine.  Also, the animals are best seen in early morning and at dusk/dinner time.  Well, too bad!  We were going through there about 2 pm.  

We drove about a mile or so and saw nothing (read - Rayna is getting frustrated)  until three wild turkeys made their appearance. Here's one that was on my side of the car.


Just a few feet further, a little elk came out on the road.  This photo was taken through windshield.


I got one other shot through the windshield that it ran into the grasses to its mama.  

I got it nursing with mama elk.  


We did see bisons, but there were quite a distance away and I think my photo will show  brown blobs. 


Around the corner there was another young and mamma elk laying in the grass.  On the other side were these two bulls hiding in the grass.
  


I know this next is not the best photo, but it reminded me of a kid playing Hide and Seek and thinking no one can see them!  :)


Since we had already paid our fee and there were few other cars, we took the drive around the preserve again.  This time the bulls were moving around.



Here's my final photo for today of another young one on the side of the road.  


Well, my "homework" is done for the day.  Going to get dinner.  More tomorrow!


No comments: