Monday, May 19, 2014

Search Surprises

As I have mentioned before, in planning my trips, I have been reviewing 3 books; a Rand McNally map book; and now Trip Advisor.  Trip Advisor is a website that you can look up a town you want to visit and it will list hotels, restaurants, and things-to-do.  For each category, it will rank the places and things by Trip Advisor reviewers...you and me.  I have reviewed several places and I find the reviews to be helpful to read.

Since Highway 281 goes through San Antonio, I looked up that city on Trip Advisor.  Of course, I have been to San Antonio many times and thought I knew all that would be ranked as highest.  I was certainly surprised to see the #1 attraction being San Antonio Western Shooting (SAWS)!  What in the world is that?  I had never heard of it!  I even looked at my search options to make sure I had the right city...yes I did.

SAWS is a small group of "volunteers" that give you an old western shoot em' up experience.  They teach you how to hold a pistol and shotgun and how to shoot it.  The reviews (112 of 114)  were "excellent" and that is almost unheard of in Trip Advisor!  Since I want to do and see the top attractions and sites in the cities and towns I go through, I showed the website to hubby.  He has not shot a gun since his Navy days in 1969  or earlier.  He wants to do this too, so he  promised me that next time we go to San Antonio, we will reserve a time to do this!  So, sorry folks, but that is one top attraction in that city that I won't be reviewing or writing about until it's done!

Now I must figure out all the things to do and see and determine what else I can skip until next time.  Then I must figure out how much time each will take and how far I can travel that day, so I know where to reserve a hotel room.  So much to do,  so little time....to plan!  I have to start packing soon too, with the thought that I will be away from home for over two months.  What a summer I am going to have!  :)

No comments: