Thursday, May 8, 2014

Man enough?



I had my laugh out loud moment today reading this!  At first I thought it was some copy of a 1950's book for women.  Probably was...then I got to the last line!  Of course I'm not a man, but I am man enough to admit that I don't meet the criteria listed for a "real woman."  Actually, I don't know too many women that do meet ALL the criteria. 

I do think that my mother read this 1950's book as she was a newly-wed and new mother during that decade.  She taught her kids to be well-dressed and hair done when we ventured off to go to the store or visit.  In public, she and we kids always had a smile on our lips and a kind word for everyone.  But then the late sixties happened and we wonderful kids became a little uncouth and ungraceful.  In May, 1970, the war protests were starting to occur more often and then there was Kent State.  As a freshman in college, I was exposed to a lot of propaganda and discussions about the war.  Even the college-town church I attended was appalled by the happenings and a group of us decided to hand out anti-war fliers to our members as they left church (with pastors blessings).  

So it was that I decided to not go home for Mother's Day weekend.  I didn't think too much about it until about a week or so later when I called home to ask for some money to be sent.  My mother didn't swear at me, but said something I will never forget.  "Well, since you couldn't come home for Mother's Day, I don't know if can send you any money."  LOL  Yes, I can laugh about it now, but my traditional mother was trying to teach me a lesson... and yes I remember it 44 years later!  I bet she even had a smile on her lips and a kind word for everyone....that honored her on that Mother's Day!

No comments: