Thursday, May 22, 2014

Decision to Drift

My last blog post, I referred to my planning process....having to decide how much time I would probably be spending at each site....(over 35 sites along Hwy 281) and how far I can drive each day.  That would allow me to make a hotel reservation in advance, as we are doing on our Northeast trip.  By reading the reports of each site in my books and/or on Trip Advisor, I was guesstimating how much time to spend at each site.  Well, what happens if a museum has enough to interest me for 2 hours instead of 1 hour?  Then I have to drive that much longer in the day to get to my hotel reservation.  Uffda!  It was really starting to stress me out.

I started thinking of my last road trip back in 1980 and how I just drifted across the states and stayed where I could find a place to set up camp with my tent.  I used Triple A books and maps at that time to determine what sites I wanted to see along the way and it worked out fine.  I did not have any time constraints then (more money constraints) and I don't really have any time constraints this time other than needing to be in NW Wisconsin by June 5.  So, I decided I'm going to drift up Hwy 281.  Each day as I'm ready to rest, I will find a hotel in the area.  That way, I can spend as little or as much time at each site as I need and want.

I really hope you will follow my blog as I am excited about this trip!  There is a Fort in every state that is near Hwy 281 that I want to see and all kinds of museums and historic houses and places.  I plan to stop every 100 miles and take photos and/or videos of the terrain so that you can see what the area looks like.  This road trip and my blog will be geared towards history as it was made in these states.

I consider this road trip as another way that I am making my own personal history.

On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again
And I can't wait to get on the road again

:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Test comment