Saturday, May 31, 2014

Highway 281 Milespost 1043 - 1379

Oops!  I forgot my log book and map in the car and I am already settled in my hotel room with my shoes off and I don't feel like getting dressed again to get it!  So tonight, you get narrative and photos without mileposts.

Left Great Bend, KS this morning and my first stop was at the Saline River where the water had cut through the stone to expose these cliffs.  This is similar (but not the red stone) that I mentioned in yesterday's blog with the silver colored stone layers.


Am I beginning to hallucinate or what?  Yesterday I saw shark fins in the field and today.....the Statue of Liberty?  Yes, this fair lady sculpture was put on the roadside by the Kansas Boy Scouts association in honor of our freedoms and liberty.  Nice touch!

Next I found some Longhorn Cattle to show you.



Just a mile off Hwy 281 and north of Lebanon, KS is the geographic center of the continental (Lower 48) states.



It was so peaceful there, no other people.  Even had a small 6' x 8' chapel if you wanted to meditate.  I felt so blessed to be able to be in the center of the USA and so centered in my life and on this journey!

In Nebraska, I am seeing more crops and irrigation systems



Near Ayr, Nebraska, I crossed over the Oregon Trail and the Pony Express trail.  This time I did not see any ruts to walk in.  


Did you know  that the Pony Express only lasted 18 months?  The railroads kept growing westward and put the Pony Express out of business.

My main stop today was the Stuhr museum in Grand Island.
The museum has so many items pertaining to the plains Indians and cowboys from the late 1800's and early 1900's collected by a local resident.  The variety and quality of the items was superb.  Here is a stirrup made with a heart on it.  Must have been a lovelorn cowboy who created this pair. :)


Besides the museum, they had buildings brought in from surrounding countryside and towns and set them up to resemble "Railroad City, Nebraska" in 1894.   Most of  buildings had guides dressed in period garb and and gave info and answered questions.  Excellent place to visit!


Here's an old bathtub.


How would you like to type on this everyday?


They even had a Lutheran church that they moved to this site.



Some states (like Texas) have a lot of "Historical Markers"   If a person were to stop at each one, it would take weeks to just drive through Texas.  Now, I have noticed that Kansas and Nebraska have very few markers along 281, so when I see one I have stopped.  If not, I would have missed the Oregon Trail marker and I would have missed this one.  


I have seen several signs along the way stating "American Legion Memorial Highway."  However, I thought it was just one state that had designated this highway that way.  Here, I find out it's a national designation.  Maybe I should see if I can sell my Highway 281 story to an American Legion periodical.  Hmmm!

Tonight I rest my head in O'Neill, "The Irish Capital of Nebraska."  :)

No comments: