Monday, April 10, 2017

Mountain Canyons

For the past five nights (since we arrived home) I have been dreaming about being in the canyons of mountains. In each of these dreams I am looking for something or looking for a way out of the canyon and/or to the top of the mountain.  There is a phrase, "mountain-top experience," which signifies that one has made it to the mountain top and oh, what a view!  What an experience!  What a high feeling!

Realistically, not very many people make it to the top of mountains.  

Third-Man-On-The-Mountain-top-of-the-mountain.png

For one thing, there is not a lot of space on top.  For another thing, the climb is strenuous and taxing on the body and soul. We travel through the canyons of mountains and sometimes we may reach a summit.  There are usually signs there listing the elevation and even though I am traveling in a car, I get a sense of accomplishment! 😉

Traveling through the canyons below the mountaintops is quite the experience.  Looking up the walls of the canyon and seeing different patterns and colors in the rocky formations is awesome!  I took hundreds of photos of these walls during our travels recently.  Why then, am I dreaming about canyons in a somewhat negative way....trying to get out or find something?  I know enough about dream analysis that I am feeling stuck in the canyons of my life, wanting something different.  But what?  Because when I awaken, I feel just fine about my life and what's happening.  

Or do I?  Yesterday's blog I wrote about Handel's "Messiah."  I woke up this morning realizing that I may have presumed some things about Handel.  He was restless, independent and free-spirited, but does that mean that he didn't have a strong relationship with Christ as I insinuated? No, I find that I like to blame my waxing and waning relationship with Christ to my free-spirit.  Being free-spirited is a badge of honor for me.  Yes, I believe in Christ but giving my everything and all to Him is tough.  I feel like I will lose a part of me.  I have struggled with this in my life....seems like forever.  I go whole-hog (whole-heartedly) into the worship (church) atmosphere and then run away from it for awhile (waxing and waning).  

The other day, I bought a CD of songs, the good old spiritual songs that I heard in my churches and from my grandmother while she worked at home.  I love these old songs and I often find the hymns being my "earworm."  Today, it was "Softly and Tenderly" and I think I hear Him calling me.  Lord, give me the strength and courage to listen and stop my restlessness.  Maybe it's the church that I am searching for in my dreams.  Maybe it's the mountain top that Christ wants to take me to.  Come along as we travel through this phase in my life.  

Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
Calling for you and for me.
See, on the portals, He's waiting and watching;
Watching for you and for me.

Come home, come home,
Ye who are weary come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling;
Calling, "O sinner, come home!"

O for the wonderful love He has promised,
Promised for you and for me.
Though we have sinned He has mercy and pardon;
Pardon for you and for me.

Come home, come home,
Ye who are weary come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling;
Calling, "O sinner, come home!"

Come home, come home,
Ye who are weary come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling;

Calling, "O sinner, come home!"


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love expressing your thoughts as you do..with the truth of how you feel, but not understanding why. I have found through out life experiences, that I was the same in wanting to know why I was not all trusting, and realized I was somewhat afraid of the unknown, allowing my "human nature" to be more prominent in my life. Also that I would not advance in my professional life, as I wanted to, because of the fear of being labeled a fanatic Christian. As I read the Word more, the LORD revealed many truths and opened my eyes to trust more and experience the "sweetness" of trusting wholeheartedly in Him and not myself. Put ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you. I had to learn to ..trust in the LORD with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding, thank Him in all things, and He will direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 This is a promise to His children! I believe in this promise and claim it for my life! The more I trust the sweeter my life becomes. Isn't it wonderful that we don't need to understand everything but wake up every day with anticipation of what the Lord has in store for me today, knowing that He knows me better than I know me.