Sunday, April 9, 2017

Messiah

As we enter the Holy Week, the word messiah becomes important to all Christians.  Messiah, the one to lead and save the world.  Handel created a musical piece by the same name, Messiah, that was originally intended for the Easter season.  However, our modern times have relegated this piece to the Christmas season.

Today our local art center offered the Messiah performed by local musicians (instrumental and vocal) to kick off Holy Week.  We sat in the front row and had a great view of all the musicians.  Luckily they also gave us a "cheat sheet," showing what they were singing.  Between my hearing loss and the operatic singing, I was very glad to have the words in front of me.

Being in the front row, there were no "filters" between us and the performers.  It was a spine-tingling performance!  You may be familiar with the crescendo singing of the words, "Wonderful, Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace."  "Hallelujah!  King of Kings and Lord of Lords."

Having the cheat sheet with the lyrics got me thinking, "Since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.  For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive."  Truly the story of Easter.  However, in reading about Handel, he was not in cahoots with any church like the other famous composer, Bach.  He also was a quick composer, not taking months or years to compose his pieces.  A Smithsonian article lists Handel as having a restless independence and free-spirited musical entrepreneurship.   Does restless, independent and free-spirited sound like someone I know?  Me!

I wrote earlier that I found this performance spine-tingling.  Maybe because I could I identify with the feelings of the creator, Handel.  Was he also questioning his beliefs?  Was he unable to rely on Christ for his support, choosing instead to be independent?  Was he free-spirited, instead of Christ-spirited?  Yes, I am questioning.

No comments: