Friday, April 21, 2017

I've Been Everywhere

Johnny Cash sang the song, "I've Been Everywhere" 

I've been everywhere, man.
I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the desert's bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere.

Then the songs goes on to list a LOT of cities and states that the "man" has been to.  The other day I was reminded of ALL the places I have been to.  

At the cemetery where my uncle was buried, there was a relative of his with a special stone monument recognizing him as part of the Wisconsin unit in the Civil War.  It reminded me of all the huge monuments erected in honor of the different states and their heroes that were in the Civil War.  I have seen these monuments in Georgia, Tennessee and Pennsylvania.  They are quite impressive and I was telling my sister about these places.  Then I remembered seeing a Civil War reenactment on a Civil War battleground in Georgia.  What an experience seeing the troops charging each other, hearing the cannons booming and feeling like I was right in the middle of all the action.  

In sharing that memory with my sister, I had the overwhelming feeling of gratitude....how dang lucky and fortunate I have been in my life!  I have been in all 50 states, I have been to a lot of historical, natural and national landmarks.  Some of these places and roads, I have traveled not just once, but twice.  

Yep, I've been everywhere, man! 


No comments: