Monday, November 12, 2007

Veterans

Today is Veteran's Day or I should say the weekday that the government says we celebrate Veteran's Day. How many of us really do celebrate Veteran's Day? Is it not just another day to celebrate having a holiday (day off of work) or just another day to not celebrate that banks & other federal offices are closed (i.e. no mail)? Celebrate is a very strong and joyous word and the concept is almost too strong for Veteran's Day. Don't we often think of "veterans" as those men and women) of World War II? Those veterans of my father's age or older. Isn't it kind of weird to think of those people (at their age) celebrating?

Honor the veterans seems so much more appropriate to me. Although I'm sure that 40, 50 and even 60 years ago, these people did celebrate Veterans Day. They celebrated that they were alive and back home, after WW II. They celebrated the peace that their war efforts brought to the world.

Hubby served this country during the Vietnam War and I just asked him, "Do you consider yourself a veteran?" He replied, "Yes, I am." I know that I often forget that he is a veteran, partly because I was not part of his life during that time. I think part of it is that Vietnam War had a finality that involved us vacating the country with thousands of people trying to climb on planes to escape with us (the USA). If you remember the news of that time, it was not a pretty ending. Needless to say, hubby served our country with honor.

My sister sent me an email today about thanking the veteran for our freedoms. Yes, we are a country full of freedoms and we have so much to be thankful for. Our veterans of wars, past and present have served our country in bringing peace to the world or parts of the world. They served a higher purpose than most of us can or are willing to understand.

Thank you to the veterans and their families. May we never forget their sacrifices and their efforts. May we honor them and celebrate their services.

No comments: