Saturday, December 1, 2007

Free to Fight

Earlier this week I wrote about my "flight" patterns, my thoughts about fleeing. Today, I have some "good" news, I took a chance and stayed "to fight" rather than flee a situation. As I have mentioned before, our residential community has been hit by controversy in the past couple of months. There have been letters posted and sent that are generally against the board of directors and the proposed covenant. I am for the board and the revisions of the covenant.

However, since most of the letters are of the opposition nature, it can cause a person to wonder if "everyone" feels like the writers feel? I discovered in speaking with many neighbors (in social settings) that I may be witnessing what I think is an example of the "silent majority." Time will tell if it's the majority or not. Today is our annual meeting where we can vote for the board members and the voting for the revised covenant must occur by December 31st.

A few days ago, a couple of the "ring-leaders" of the opposition party put out a notice that a meeting would occur last night. They very explicitly said that all comments would be heard and if any arguing would occur, the offending party would be expelled from the meeting. I was very interested in attending, hubby was not. I guess I've always been a person wanting to hear both sides of the story. I went to the meeting expecting a lot of ranting and raving, so when the coordinator came around the room and asked if we each wanted to speak publicly, and if so, to sign our name on a piece of paper. These names would be drawn randomly & people allowed to speak to all in the room (25-30 people). I asked the coordinator if I could chose not to speak when my name was drawn and he affirmed that was allowable. So I put my name "in the hat."

As I expected, most of the speakers were opposed to the covenants and the board. I listened to what they were saying and I could see how and why they felt as they did. Perception is reality. I use that term with my staff many times to describe how the service they provide may be considered "excellent" by my staff. However, the customer may consider the same service "good" or even "fair."

In the case of my neighbors, what they perceive about the board and the covenants is their reality. No one can take away that reality. However, last night I chose to stay at the meeting and "fight" by giving them my perception of the board and the covenants. This perception is different than many of attendees, yet by the time my name was called I felt safe in the fact that there had not been any dissension or loud arguments, etc. So I got up and spoke my piece. Yes, I did acknowledge that I do agree with the rest of the speakers on a couple items they brought up (i.e. more open meetings). The rest of the "speech" I tried to affirm my support of board and covenants. I tried to dissuade those attending to not throw away "the baby with the bath water" by rejecting the whole covenant for a line item here and there.

It's doubtful that I changed any one's point of view after I spoke last night. However, for me to stand up and "fight" for a differing point of view was an accomplishment. Even though I do not agree with my neighbors on many points, I can still look them in the eye and respect them as human beings. Perhaps, my being able to respect them is due to the fact that I have not been on the receiving end of any one's "grudge" or "complaint" against me. I can not deny that. I can not deny that there were names of my neighbors and friends mentioned last night, mentioned in a negative way.

But the freedom of speech was wonderful. The ability of a group to meet and voice our opinions was uplifting. Regardless of what was voiced, the ability to be able to voice our concerns via speech or press is an opportunity that many people in other countries do not enjoy. The vote is another opportunity that not all people can enjoy.

Today, all my neighbors and I have the opportunity to "fight" for what we want through our votes. My candidate of choice may not win the vote today, however, next year I get another opportunity to have my voice heard... in a vote. What freedoms!

1 comment:

Ron Hedberg said...

Way to go Rayna! (in a positive way) Due to a variety of factors, we all have differing opinions of what is "best", for ourselves, and for the greater good. I agree that we could all gain a lot with more effort into simply understanding others. Assumptions and misunderstandings have caused harm to numerous relationships, both personal and in business. Thanks for setting an example of seeking to understand.