Monday, December 10, 2007

Walking & Writing

In the past couple of days, I had two requests for my blog address. I guess word is getting around about my writings... the requester is probably interested in what I had to say about recent community events. Or perhaps they are interested in my journey to PEACE.

I do feel, think and act more at peace than I did almost six months ago. Two of the major contributors to that peace-filled life is my walking and my writing. Walking has become a way of life for me, awaking about 5:30 AM and getting on the street, usually by 6 AM. While I walk I think about a lot of different things and I often hear ear worms (a term for a song stuck in our heads). Thinking about other subjects helps get the ear worms out of my head for a little while. Then I try to remember what I have thought until I can get it "down on paper" (in the computer). Sometimes that is never and other times it's a few minutes, hours or days later. That is the way it works.

A book I am reading now has the theme of eight women that decide to get away from it all and they start walking, talking and thinking. The book's author is Kris Radish and the title is The Elegant Gathering of White Snows." Upon reading my blog about running away, my younger sister said (in reference to this book), "I have just the book for you to read." Oh, yes, I can identify with the women in this book. It is interesting how the story tells of how the publicity of their walk was unexpected, yet the simple act of walking together rallied women throughout the country to take charge of their lives in one way or another. Thinking and walking have also helped me to change some things in my life.

In my annual Christmas letter, I gave out my blog address. It was scary even thinking about doing that as some of the people that get my Christmas letter are friends or relatives that may not know the "real" me and I now feel very exposed. However, I felt it was a step that I wanted to take.... releasing my blog site to more people. Releasing my thoughts and perspectives to more people. Making myself more accountable, I hope.

An ear worm of a different sort is the memory that cropped up and lingers still after viewing a movie the other night. The movie, "All I Want for Christmas" has a young boy entering a contest claiming that all he wants for a Christmas is "husband" for his widow mother. The mother runs a center for homeless people and a place for locals to meet (i.e. Boy Scouts). There is a scene in the movie where the potential husband is dishing out food on the plates of the people gathered for a meal. He looks quite baffled and I would say even horrified. It brought back memories of my time serving people in a homeless shelter in the Atlanta area.

Serving people at a shelter was not really something that I wanted to do, but I can honestly now say that, "I'm glad I had the opportunity" to serve others. I remember how easy it was to dish up food and give the people a smile. Some of the people would look surprised or even appeared suspicious of my smile and friendly nature. However, I was consistent with my humble servitude and I could sense their concerns being eased. I found myself thinking it was an honor to serve them. It's a memory that fills me with thankfulness.

During the Christmas season, we often see movies, shows, newspaper articles about giving of our time, talents and treasures to those less fortunate. We also see the mountains of advertisement showing us how we can spend our treasures (money) and what we can give to our loved ones. The mountains of "material things" that we give and get from one another. How often do we just need and want some time with a person? How often do we need and want to see some of the talents of a person? How often do we just end up giving out our treasures with little thought to the needs of the other person? It's the season of "Hurry up, buy gifts, ship them early, etc, etc"

What will I do this Christmas that will be different? What will I do this Christmas that will be honorable? What will I do this Christmas that will fill me with thankfulness?

No comments: