Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Sleep and Silence

In the months prior to my retirement, I often wondered what these days would be like.  I did imagine getting more sleep, which has been blissfully wonderful.  Did I say I LIKE it?!?  I am what statisticians call a "mid-morning person."  I don't like early morning but by 10 am, it's my prime productivity time until about 2 pm.  After 2, I would fight sleep and I was usually ready for sleep by 10 pm. 

Now, that I don't have to have the alarm set every day, it's blissful to sleep until my body says "wake up."  Most days that has been after 8 or 8:30 am ....times in the past that I would have to be at work! 

At night I have found that I am staying up later to read or watch a movie.  It feels great to have that option.  Last night I accompanied my hubby on a courier run to a town about 2.5 hours or so from here.  I even did half the driving.  Since I did have an appointment today at 10 am, I thought I had better set the alarm for 9 am as a precaution since we got home a little after 2 am this morning.  I forgot how to set my alarm clock!  Hubby and I got a chuckle out of that one.

One of the things I imagined about retirement was having the radio or CD's playing all day with my favorite music.  I have not!  I am not sure why not, but I am enjoying the silence in the house.  No phones ringing, no overhead public address announcements, no kids crying in the lobby outside my office. This, too, has been blissful. 

I find it ironic, some of things I am discovering about retirement and about myself.  I am sure there are more discoveries....after all I've only been retired for 8 work days!  The other days were vacation. 

Speaking of vacations, my friends are already asking me, "when and where to is your next trip?"  Just saw a bargain on a two-nights stay in New Orleans.  Hmmm? 

No comments: