Thursday, November 21, 2013

Discoveries

Day 4 of my retirement week and I have discovered some things already. 

1. It's possible to stay awake beyond 10:30 pm when I know I won't have an alarm to awaken me in the morning.  Sleeping past 8 am must be contagious as even hubby slept until 8:30 am this morning.

2. Going grocery shopping during the weekday means I can get an upfront and close parking spot.  I know I need the exercise, but I already walked a mile in the morning.

3.  Going grocery shopping as a retiree means I see that products have prices!  Believe me, my hubby can attest to the fact that I never looks at prices when grocery shopping.  Hubby (previously a purchasing manager) often quizzes me on the what something cost and was there a cheaper brand?  "I don't know, I didn't look at the price.  I needed it, I bought it."  Fortunately for us, money has not been an issue.  I think, due to decreased income, my thinking is already changing.

4. Along the same thoughts of food....I have not lived up to my worst fears of retirement....that I would eat myself out of house and home if I am home every day with nothing to do!  In fact today, we ate breakfast so late, we are having two meals today with a candy snack in-between.  I have not lost my sweet tooth.

5. Invitations for weekday activities can now be accepted.  Went to a friend's open house yesterday.  Felt so good!

6. I can clean and rearrange one drawer or shelf each day and feel like I accomplished something.  At this rate I should have the house clean by the time I reach age 70.  Add to that going through photos to delete and sort & I will keep plenty busy. 

In fact after the first day jitters, I have found this lifestyle growing on me.  But, you know me, I  will keep you posted! 


No comments: