Sunday, January 8, 2012

WWW

If any of my sisters see this title, they will think I'm going to write about our annual sisters weekend dubbed WWW = Wild Women's Weekend!   However, I am going to write about Water, Weigh and Wisdom and possibly throw a fourth W in there for Write. 

Every magazine you pick up today has at least one headline article about losing weight and/or exercise.  I have read many of them of course and have learned a few tips (WISDOM) from them. These tips I have put into practice in the past couple of months. 

WATER - drink plenty of it!  Not much else a person can say.  It fills you up and it has no calories.  It also helps with a body's metabolism.

WEIGH - yourself every day!  This is difficult some days when I know that I may have splurged the day before.  But, it is so important to know what that "splurge" has done with your weight.  There are days when I don't want to get on the scale, but I force myself to do so.  It really helps keep me in tune to what my body is doing.  Weigh your food too.  Again, I thought I knew how much 4 ounces was, but I didn't.  A fine calibrated food scale is important.  I took my body weight scale on vacation with me so that I could see how I was doing.  Of course my scale batteries ran dead about 10 days into my vacation & I told everyone that "I threw it overboard."  But upon return home, the scale with fresh batteries became a staple in my life

WISDOM - learn and put into practice what you've learned!  Beside the two tips above, I have learned to make better choices on the foods I eat.  I have learned that berries are great.  I have put into practice the habit of having a salad with the dressing on the side.  I dip my fork into the dressing and then spear my vegetables.  I was pleasantly surprised by how little dressing I used, yet I tasted the dressing in most every bite. 

I have learned to review the menu while eating out and requesting the meat that normally comes with french fries, coleslaw, etc to come with a side salad (with dressing on the side) instead!  There is no sense in tempting myself by having those fat-laden carbs to sit on my platter in front of me. 

I have learned that alcohol is truly a lot of empty calories.  I know that if I have a drink with a meal or after, I will see that on the scale the next day.  So I limit myself to two or three drinks a week. 

Another W is WRITE - write down the foods you're eating. A person often (maybe I should say "usually") is unaware of how much they are really eating until they write it down.  Write down your feelings about your food plan, your weight and your emotions.  Write down your weight each and every day.  It helps to see the progress or the maintenance you have accomplished.

Well, that's about all the wisdom I have to share today.  All I can say is that it makes a world of difference to me in following these WWW tips. 

1 comment:

Robyn Austin said...

That's pretty different from our WWW (Wild Women's Weekend) where we can have ice cream for breakfast :)