Sunday, January 15, 2012

Joy to the World!

Joy to the world, the Savior reigns!  I realize the Christmas season is "over," but why?  Why not celebrate Christ's birth in our lives every day of the year?  With joy! 

Yesterday we were at a spirit-filled and entertaining show given by Frank Runyeon. He used to be on soap operas of the day and night (i.e. One Life to Live, Falcon Crest, etc).  He talked about the Sermon on the Mount and then went into the messages that we get everyday from the media and society.  For children, it's BUY.  For women it's WEIGHT and looking good.  For men, it's WIN. 

His point was that we think we can find JOY in these, but it doesn't happen.  At least not permanently.  He spoke of his well-to-do son that went to Dominican Republic and seeing children that did not have much material goods, but were so filled with joy.  It reminded both Paul and I have this scene in St. Maarten.


As we were driving the streets of St. Maarten, I saw this house with the two girls playing in the parking lot next door.  I am attracted to colorful houses and doors, but this scene enticed me because the two girls had the same bright colored outfits as their home. 

We stopped, and as I got our of the car with my camera, they saw me and waved at me with these beautiful smiles.  It made me feel as if they knew me.  This was the first picture I took.  They came closer and I took a couple more photos.  The youngest girl has the words "cutie pie" on her shirt and they both were cutie pies!





 
Their home was located on the edge of an industrial area of Phillipsburg, a place that most Americans would consider undesirable for a home.  Yet they walked their dog and played in the rutted parking lot next door and greeted people with huge smiles.  You could tell they knew joy! 
 
The speaker yesterday spoke about our new year and our resolutions.  How many of our resolutions involved giving kindness and love to others?  I have to admit and my blog attests to this that my resolution is all about me and my eating habits, etc.  Thank God, I have time (i.e. I'm still alive) and I can add so worthy resolutions to my new year!
 
I resolve to seek and find ways to give thanks, love, and joy to another person each day.  Thanks for reading my blog, there may only be a couple of you, but your comments are valued.  And knowing you are out there makes me more accountable for my actions.
 

No comments: