Saturday, June 6, 2009

Wonderful!

"I don't want to make money, I just want to be wonderful."
- Marilyn Monroe

After just checking my losing lottery tickets, I guess I better start acting "wonderful." Acting it would be, because wonderful is certainly not a word that I would ever use to describe myself. To me, wonderful is someone with a exceedingly high amount of talent or compassion. They are gifted. Is wonder a gift? Is being wonderful a gift?

Talent takes effort. There are very few talented people that just let their talents and skills remain dormant. They use their talents, they try to perfect their talents. Compassion takes effort too. The effort of taking the time to express compassion and taking the time to allow the compassion to envelop another person, place or thing. There are very few instances that compassion can be given or expressed on-the-run.

It is no wonder that I'm not wonderful, it takes effort! Maybe that's why it's easier to "make money" than it is to be wonderful. Is it not a sad world where it's easier to make money and be mediocre (there's that word again) than being wonderful? I wonder what one thing I could do today or say today that could be classified by someone as "wonderful"?

Maybe, making breakfast for my sick husband? I'll give it a try.

1 comment:

Robyn Austin said...

YOU are wonderful, Rayna! And I enjoyed the wonderful picture you sent this morning. That's talent!