Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Perception is Reality

I have used that phrase numerous times in my career and in my life... Perception is reality. I got a taste of it today. A reality check, you might say. A few months back, employees at our company answered an employee satisfaction survey. The last survey that was done was in 2006, just before I started working there. So at that time, one of my first tasks in the department was to set up action plans on how to correct the previous manager's faults and mistakes.

Well I thought that department was doing well and that I had a good rapport with the staff. The results are in and I suck, to put it bluntly! Maybe, not totally, but of course to low-self-esteem Rayna, the results were hard to swallow. The majority of the respondents think I'm doing just fine, but there is that percentage (larger than I want it to be) of staff that just seem to think I do not do anything right. So, at 57 years of life and 33 years in the medical field, I have to change. I have to make improvements.

I will make changes, I have to make improvements. I have to discover what is their perception and how do they want me, their supervisor to be. I need to make their perception become my reality.

Sometimes, like today, I just want to say "I'm too old for this, let me retire." But retire is a few years away yet, in fact 1107 days. Yep, I put my projected retirement date into a count-down program so that I can keep track as time flies by... or at least I hope it flies by! Maybe my perception of time flies will become a reality. Let's hope!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope things get better. I'm sure you do a great job. I have to also realize in my job that some people will never be satisfied with what I do or don't do. it can be cruel.
take care. Lene