Sunday, October 19, 2008

Walk a Mile in Their Shoe(s)



The pictures show a child's plastic shoe made to look like a car. Ironically, I saw the shoe at a gas station that we stopped at in New Mexico. It probably fell out of a car as Mom or Dad opened the door to give their child a treat they bought in the station's store. It caught my eye because of the bright color, but also because of it's loneliness. There were no other cars at the station, but for ours and this little car. It almost appeared to be waiting to be filled up. Oh, the stories that shoe could tell. If I could, I would have slipped on that shoe and "walked" a mile in that shoe and have it tell me who it belonged to? Will the child cry when they discover their shoe is missing? Will Mom or Dad be mad or consoling? So many stories.
Six months ago I participated in the Walk to Emmaus. It was a spiritually moving and spiritually fulfilling weekend. One of my neighbors participated in the Walk this weekend. Since I have "walked" in her shoes, I wondered how her story would be the same and/or different than mine. Every one's experience could be similar or it could be vastly different. Years ago, a wise boss told me, "Perception is reality." It's been so helpful to often remember that phrase. I knew that no matter what my friend's perception of the Walk, I could pray for her to gain some insight for herself.
Speaking of walking, hubby and I started walking on Monday and have done so each morning. We started with a one mile walk and on Saturday, I did one and half miles. After months of not walking and gaining back almost every pound I lost last year, I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to do a mile the first day and an extra half mile by the end of the first week. I know there are people reading this, that know that they too can "walk a mile in my shoes," as they have been on the roller-coaster ride of weight loss and gain. I could write and say, "I hope that this time I keep on walking." But, I can only take care of today. I have walked "miles" in my dreams, yet my plans fizzle out quickly. Therefore, it's today I will focus on, as tomorrow may never come and if it does, then it will be "today"!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you take great pictures, Rayna Bayna, but I read with interest your story and was waiting for the "other shoe to drop" in reference to the stilleto high heel in your picture directly behind the "car" shoe. Really, that is what i see when I look at that photo - the heel of a stiletto!

Then I thot it was an art exhibit, and that "car" shoe was really a car and the high heel was at least one story high, I figured all this out b/4 I read your story! Let me know if I should finish this margarita or not??? Just kidding, but not kidding about my "perception"! Luv ya - Romey Let me know if you see what I see??

Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing too! seriously, I did. I didn't realize until a day or two ago that it was actually at a gas station. You can see that I keep checking to see if you have something new. I don't always have time to leave a comment. But, I'm glad Romey did, so I don't feel so stupid. Maybe it's something in the Grantsburg rural water supply. Love, Raylene