Saturday, October 11, 2008

Missing the Action

Look there's a bird in the bird bath!


I whip my head around and there it is splashing up a storm. The bright morning sun makes the bird a mere shadow on the landscape. The bird is ferociously splashing that water and the water droplets make a glistening fountain. It's an awesome picture, isn't it? Something you'd see on a calendar.


Go get the camera!


I run to the office to get my camera and thoughts are going a hundred-miles-an-hour through my brain.


By the time I get back to the door, the bird will be gone!


Why don't I just stand at the door and watch it?


Here I am missing another wonderful scene!


I hope I have that picture in my mind because I probably won't get a real photo.


Well, that's all right. I mean all that I thought was right. The bird was gone and I stood at the door for five minutes with my camera posed until my arm and hands went numb. Therefore, no photo for you today. Can you see the picture in my mind? I hope so, it was quite the scene. :)

3 comments:

Robyn Austin said...

This reminds me of the other night when we went to the school to play volleyball (parents vs their 5th-graders). On the way there, hubby (knowing I visualize things as scrapbook pages) says, "Did you bring your camera?" I said, "Nope. Let's just "live" it!" Maybe you weren't supposed to get that picture today. Maybe God was just sending a blessing for you and Paul to enjoy. What a special treat!

Rayna Delaney said...

But I missed most of the action... the bird splashing... because I ran to get my camera rather than just watching!

Anonymous said...

Just like that bird taking a bath, the leaves up here and their showy colors are gone in a flash, too. Next time, Rayna, and there will be a next time - you will just stand still and watch "the moment" and take a picture in your mind. You know that old saying "take time to stop and smell the roses", we have to do it more often, especially now that we are getting older! Yesterday, Saturday, was one of those glorious fall days where I just had to pull myself away from work, hop in the truck and drove down a few of the Town of Grantsburg roads and just inhale the leaf colors. One hour later I drove in my driveway to see some of the prettiest maple leaves in my own yard! I walked out and just stood under those trees, watching the leaves fall. Last night it was still 68 degrees out so hubby talked me into going out for a campfire. A few hours (and a few margaritas) later, after watching the lightening show in the sky, the rain chased us up on the porch where we enjoyed the "halloween" lights, listened to the rain and I danced to "Bon Jovi" !! All this was b/4 10:15 P.m. when "the kid" came home from the bar, and we parents had to grow up!! Oh well, today, I am stuck in my office, it's cloudy out, the leaves are blowing off the trees and my body is feeling like I am not a kid again! But it's okay, because yesterday's hours of "taking time" to live in the moment will give me some great memories to last through that first snowstorm! Love ya, and thanks for giving me something to think about (& write about!). -Romey