Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sisters!


This photo is of a print hanging in a bathroom in Wisconsin. I really liked it because it has seven women ready to play and party, just like my six sisters and I will do next month. They are all coming down from Wisconsin and Minnesota to Texas to celebrate our tenth annual sister's weekend, more affectionately known as Wild Women's Weekend. When we all go to South Padre Island next month, I don't think we will be dressed quite like these maidens of the past, but we will be colorful. Colorful in dress and personality, I'm sure!
I'm the oldest of the family and we have one brother in the mixture. One of my sisters sent all of us a book of stories to read about sisters. It's sometimes hard to read because I envy the relationships that some of the authors have with their sister(s). I don't have a close relationship with my sisters and I was wondering, "Why?" I think it's because I ended up being more of "mother" with them than a sister. In fact the two youngest sisters (twins) that are seventeen years younger than me call me "the upstairs Mom." Don't get me wrong, I love that honor, especially since I had no children.
I think that another thing that has contributed to my feeling more of a "mother" than sister is the fact that I have lived away from Wisconsin and Minnesota for many years of my adult life. However, even when we spent seven years living up there recently, I still did not develop the sisterly friendships with my sisters. I can go months and rarely speak with any or all of them. But I know that come time for the big weekend, we will all start emailing and phoning each other as we finalize plans for the big weekend. When we all get together, we start talking like it's only been last weekend since we last saw each other. We all know the personalities of the other sisters; who will be quiet, who will be the life of the party, who will laugh the loudest, who will take the longest getting dressed, etc, etc. Somehow that bond is still there, in spite of long absences, we know each other, accept each other and love each other.

5 comments:

Robyn Austin said...

For the record, you are the world's greatest upstairs mother! As sisters go, you are pretty darn awesome, too! I cherish our friendship and our sister-ship. Love you, Rayna Bayna!

Anonymous said...

Hey big sister, you are great! I know you are going to be a wonderful tour guide that will probably even encourage some of us to show a little of our Wild side!
My last & only plane trip was going to see you in Colorado 28 yrs ago-boy are you Special! Love you! Annie-Ro

Anonymous said...

Hey, you are my only older sister, you should feel so special about that! i know we don't always talk along the same lines - phone, e-mail, agreeable lines - but I always know you will be there for me and all the rest as you always have been. CAN"T WAIT TO SEE MY SISTER IN HER NEW ENVIRONMENT! It will be so fun getting to know my sister again in her home town and home state. How much money do we need to bring!!??!! Don't include "gettin' out of jail" $$ in your estimate! Luv ya, Romey

Anonymous said...

Hey upstairs Mom- thanks for all that you do! You are so diverse. you can be funny, poetic, the healer, the calmer, the instigator, the best friend. You have so many wonderful traits. Can't wait to see you and your beautiful home. Do they care in Texas if you have cellulite? I hope not. I want to be able to enjoy your pool and actually step foot in the ocean, okay it's a gulf, but I will consider it an ocean. Take care Rainy Day Woman. Love, Lenesker

Anonymous said...

Hey Upstairs Mom- you are so great. You are so diverse. You can be the happy one, the healer, the calming one, the fun one, the instigator, the best friend. You have so many great traits. I can't wait to see you and your beautiful home. Do they care if you have cellulite in Texas? I hope not. I want to be able to swim in your pool and put my feet in the ocean, okay I know it's a gulf, but I want to think of it as an ocean. Love ya and miss ya Rainy Day Woman. Love, Lenesker