Monday, June 25, 2007

I have lived 55 good years on this earth. As you can see by my picture, I have lived to eat!

Now, I have gotten tired.... tired of trying to squeeze my body into large size pants that I just bought two months ago. Tired of trying to get my leg up on my knee so that I can put on knee-hi socks . Tired of walking across the parking lot and arriving at the front door of work all winded & hyper-ventilating.

Yes, I have lived-to-eat for many years. I've experienced yo-yo and roller-coaster periods of weight loss & gain. Regretfully, more gains than losses as last Saturday, my scale tipped at the tip-top of my poundage. I saw the "magic" number on the scale, the one that I never wanted to see and the number that said, "this is serious, Rayna."

It's ironic that when the scale tip-toppled at that huge number, I was not upset. I knew it was coming some day as I have lived-to-eat for too many years. Any time I have thought about a diet or even went on a diet, it's always been me whining, "It's not fair!" I sure could do a great imitation of a spoiled rotten kid that wants their way. Yes, I got my way, I ate what I wanted and when I wanted. Now it is time for a big change in my lifestyle or I will not have many more years of life to style!

So far, I have focused this day's blog on my physical weight and appearance, but there is more to this change in lifestyle than what I do or don't put into my mouth and how much exercise I do each day. Physical is part of my lifestyle change, and so is the emotional and spiritual aspects of my life. All three areas need to be in balance, in order for my life as a whole to be in balance. I want my life to be full of peace.

I am an old child of the sixties, but PEACE means so much more than a good, warm, high feeling. It signifies balance to me. If you look up the word 'peace' in the dictionary, the pronunciation is "pes." P, E, S, are the first letters of the works physical, emotional and spiritual. When those three aspects of my life are in balance, I will feel, think and know PEACE.

Join me as I journey to a life of balance and peace!

5 comments:

Robyn Austin said...

You go, girl! The first step is a willingness to change and faith in yourself to know you CAN. Peace be with you, sis!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Rayna! I can identify with you on all 3 things. I also need balance in my life. Maybe we can take one step at a time together. Between you and Robyn I hope someone can inspire me. Not to put you guys on the spot. Just continue to do your writing that you both so much love to do. Maybe I need to start a journal, for myself, to get feelings wrote down. May God watch over you and bless you and give you PEACE! Love, your upstairs kid.

Anonymous said...

Rayna: I have never seen such courage as this! As an overweight person all my adult life, I too am on the journey to peace and also believe that it is spelled P.E.S. (I think I'll borrow that acronym to share at my next OA meeting!) I joined Overeaters Anonymous (OA-HOW: HOW stands for honesty, openness and willingness) a year ago--in fact I just had my first "anniversary" of total abstinence from sugar (in all it's many forms) and all wheat. I have lost 55 pounds. As great as that is, it's the emotional and spiritual parts of this 12-step program that are helping me put it all together along with the accountability to a sponsor and my fellow OA brothers and sisters.

Rayna I can't wait to come back to Texas and walk with you. I am looking forward to nurturing our friendship from afar for now and in the winters, we'll eat healthy together! In Texas I am blessed to have found CE-HOW (Compulsive Eater's Anonymous) and attend those meetings weekly when I'm in TX!)

Hugs and best wishes for your success! Joan C. (that's my OA name; you know who I am!)

Anonymous said...

Rayna you can do this. I'm rooting for you all the way. I may have had my stomach stapled but that hasn't shut down my mind. I still want everything I see and hear on TV. I see where it could be easy to gain the weight back if I don't watch my diet very carefully. So, lets use each other to keep on track and become two sexy ladies!!

Rachel Hedberg said...

Rayna I wish I wasn't reading this 2 months later, but never to late. You are my motivation! I was sitting here eating a piece of cheesecake when I decided to read the first entry of your blog. I can't eat another bite, because I to as you know suffer from overweightness and lack of balance. I plan to follow your blog writings and look forward to sharing in our success stories. Love ya!