Thursday, June 28, 2007

Inspiration

"Inspiration" has always been a word that I've liked, it sounds so fulfilling and calming to me. Upon looking up the word in trusty, dusty 10 pound dictionary, I find that first listed meaning of inspiration is "stimulation of the faculties to a high level of feeling or activity." I guess when I feel "fulfilled" that fits in, but "calming"? Oh well, the "high level of feeling or activity" fits in with changing and balancing my lifestyle.

I made the decision to change my lifestyle about a week ago and on Saturday when I started my food plan, my husband asked. "What's different this time? What's motivating you to do this?" My initial response was, "I don't know, it's just time." But his questions have hovered in my mind all week... What is different? What is motivating me?

If you look up the word "motivate" the meaning is "to stimulate to action." Gee, seems I've seen those words before! Another meaning for inspiration is "an agency, such as a person or work of art that moves the intellect or emotions."

SIDE NOTE: You will find if you read this blog long enough that I'm a "word" junkie, I love looking in the dictionary for words and their meanings.

Who or what is inspiring me? Who or what is motivating me? Let me tell you.

Last night I was talking with my husband about this subject and when he questioned me, I told him I didn't think he inspired me. Then I saw a slightly dejected look on his face and I realized that he HAS truly inspired me by accepting me as I am, overweight and under-shaped. To be accepted by your loved-ones is a source of inspiration, maybe not the kind that moves a person to action, but truly moves the emotions. Thank God for those people in our lives!

I live in a neighborhood that every day from early morning hours to late evening hours, you will see a neighbor out walking. These people inspire me, especially the 90 year-old lady out there walking at a good pace! I was beginning to think that I would never live to 90, much less walk like she does unless I changed.

Victor is a weekly columnist in our local paper and his article are so inspiring and thought-provoking. He is a wheel-chair bound college freshman that was not expected to live beyond his tenth birthday. He must be fed & bathed by care-givers, yet he is bound only physically as his mind knows no boundaries. He is free to dream and encourage us all. After reading his articles, I am truly inspired by the choices that I have.... to walk when I want and to put food into my own mouth. Here's his website if interested www.victoralvarezweb.com

I love photography! My photos are my own work-of-art and they inspire me. I enjoy being outside and trying to improve my pictures and techniques. The challenge of "improving" can be transferred to other areas of my life. I think that my photography helps balance me in the areas of emotions and spiritual.

Diana H. is a long-time friend of mine and such a wholesome person! Wholesome.... "sound health and well-being." She exercises, eats wholesome, healthy foods, and has spiritual feelings deeper than most professional theologians that I know. To me, she is the epitome of balance, physical, emotional and spiritual. Thanks Diana & keep on truckin'! Now if she could only find a job! :)

Robyn is my long-time (39 years today) sister. She makes me proud and humble that I'm her sister. She's creative and she inspired me to start this blog. She is, day-by-day, finding and holding on to balance in her life. Way to go!

Last, but not least, is you, the reader of this blog. You keep me inspired to walk, eat appropriately and share my feelings and thoughts. You keep me honest! You are my "accountant," without you I would not have accountability and probably give up!

What is inspiring you? What is motivating you? Ponder on those questions, you may be surprised at what will be your answer.

2 comments:

Robyn Austin said...

Rayna: YOU have inspired me since the days you lived in that T-shirt that said "Single & Loving It!" I have always known it is OK to be an independent woman. You have shown time and time again that you are a strong woman, too. We call you a gypsy, but it takes courage to move to new places and try new jobs and, today, try a new lifestyle. I have no doubt you'll succeed again. Now that's inspiring!

Rachel Hedberg said...

Rayna, In some ways we are so much alike, because I feel like you are writing my thoughts too! You have always been my inspiration! And you have always been a support for me too! Thanks for all you do! Love ya!