Sunday, August 31, 2014

Labor Day

Labor Day =
Holiday
The end of summer
The beginning of school year
A workday off = A three-days weekend
Two-thirds of the year is gone

Wikipedia, my encyclopedia of choice, says
 "Labor Day in the United States is a holiday celebrated on the first Monday in September.  It is a celebration of the American labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of workers.  It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of their country."
Recently I sent an email to my siblings and I mentioned, "No real plans for Labor Day weekend.  Just another weekend down here."  One of my siblings replied back and in jest said, "Of course, you get every Monday off now!"  I had not really thought of it that way before, but certainly thankful.

What I meant was that Labor Day is all of the above down here,  but NOT the end of summer!  We will have another two months of summer.  You don't feel or see the same urgency to celebrate and camp and/or grill out ONE more time, as you do Up North.  People in parts of the north are already putting their cabins, travel trailers and gardens to "bed" for the winter.  They are taking their last boat ride this weekend.  Labor Day is a mixture of fun and saying good-bye to the summer and the lifestyle it stimulates.  

I rather miss that lifestyle, that change of seasons.  The holidays are celebrated as the ends and beginnings of season to another.  Easter signifies the beginning of Spring, Memorial Day the beginning of Summer, Labor Day the beginning of Fall, and Thanksgiving the beginning of Winter.  The holidays meant more than a day off work. That is, if you're lucky to have the day off work.   I'm not sure I'm willing to move back to COLD country to just have those changes of seasons.  :)

It has been a transition for me going from being a laborer to being retired.  It's been ten months now and I still dream about work.  But it's less often and now the dreams seem to be my ex bosses wanting me to come back to work, and I am kicking and screaming...."I don't want to do that again!  I have done that for over thirty years, I want to do something different."  They say our dreams speak to us and can be guide.  I guess that means no more medical business work for me.  

I am getting restless to do something else.  I realize that I probably don't have enough hobbies to keep me occupied as a retiree.  Sure, I have enjoyed planning our trips and going on those trips.  But, I can't travel all the time....or can I?  

I better quit writing as now I am rambling...just like my title indicates.  Wherever you are and whatever you are  doing, here's hoping you have a great Labor Day!










No comments: