Monday, August 11, 2014

Sometimes, A Smile Covers Sadness

I was saddened to read about the suicide death of Robin Williams. According to news reports, he had been battling depression.  

We have probably all known people that make jokes and can make others smile and laugh.  But they are sad or depressed and can't make themselves smile.  Or their smile is put-on to cover-up their depression.  To the outside world, they seem to be the most happy and happy-go-lucky people we have ever met.  Looks, and actions, can be deceiving.  It's so sad.  

This is not to say that every jokester or comedian is depressed or sad inside.  But we never really know, do we?  I would not have suspected Robin Williams was suffering from depression.  

I have to think about the words we use in conjunction with depression.... battling and suffering.  I have been depressed and I know that depression is not something I wanted.  I have battled and suffered, until I reached out for help.  But, it's embarrassing...even with all the "open-mindedness" our society claims we have about the illness.  Every day there are numerous TV ads for depression medications.  They show a person looking sad and "depressed."  You don't see the depressed person making jokes and making others laugh in these ads.  That would be an oxymoron situation.  However, it happens.  There are people in our world that are depressed and act completely opposite to our perceptions of a depressed person.  

I am thankful for all the times Robin Williams has made me laugh and smile.  He was a true artist, he seemed so genuine.  It's unfortunate that his gimmicks and mannerisms that made us laugh may have been a cover-up for his true feelings of depression.  I guess that's why they call his profession....acting.  Rest in Peace, Robin.


No comments: