Thursday, April 17, 2008

Spring!

Spring has sprung!

This morning I awoke hearing a loon call. Or at least I dreamed I did! The loon has a unique call and I remember how exciting and hopeful it felt when I heard the first loon call of spring. The loons would return to the lake we lived on in Wisconsin and sometimes they would return to the lake within days of the ice breaking up and melting. The loon was not one of those birds that you had a first sighting... like the robin. "I saw my first robin this morning," we'd proudly exclaim to family, friends or co-workers. No, the loon is usually a first "hearing."

I hope that the ice is off the lakes up North by now! They have had a very long winter this year with more inches of snow being dumped on them last weekend. Here in the southern tip of Texas, it's easy to forget about winter and seasons. However, our day lilies died down this winter and just the other day, we had our first blossom. The hibiscus bushes are showing off more and more blossoms every day too. :) Yep! It puts a smile on our faces.

There's just something about spring and new growth that gets most people excited, happy and looking forward to life. I don't think it's a coincidence that is Spring is when we celebrate Christ's resurrection. New Life guaranteed, just like the results of a new season.

Tonight I am going for the weekend on the Walk to Emmaus, a Christian retreat. I am hopeful for some new growth within my heart and soul. I am hopeful for spiritual and emotional renewal. Maybe, some physical renewal too..... it's not called a "walk" for nothing, I've been told to wear comfortable walking shoes. I've got them. Think Spring!

3 comments:

Ron Hedberg said...

Have a great retreat. It sounds like you have a great open heart and mind for whatever God may wish to do for you this weekend.

I wish you new birth, new and fresh perspectives and insights, and new possibilities. Be blessed.

Ron

Anonymous said...

Rayna, You are probably hearing a talk right about now, discussing each talk among new friends. I pray that as you continue with this walk that your heart will be open to what is being shared and that you know that you we are not alone. For Christ walks amongs us. In Prayer, Oralia

Anonymous said...

I hope spring in Texas puts a new warmth in your heart and soul Rayna along with this retreat. Just so you know, it's April 20th today, and the ice was not off any of the lakes including MudHen as of Friday. We are waiting for spring. Robyn had nice weather Sat, but we barely got out of the 4o's up here in Burnett County. Hope your weekend was refreshing for you! love you, Romey