Sunday, April 6, 2008

Love, Forgiveness & Happiness

Hubby and I just finished watching a movie, "Into the Wild." Knowing my wanderlust spirit, hubby agreed to watch it with me. It's a story about a young man that "disappears" after his college graduation to explore the world and more specifically go into the wilds of Alaska. It's a very thought-provoking movie, to say the least!

I have had my own adventure, back in 1980. I saved my money and earned extra money by being a waitress. I "rented" out my belongings to family so that I could retrieve them when I returned. The return date of which I was unsure. I visited some friends in Minnesota and family in Missouri and then headed by myself into the unknown. The states of Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada rolled under my wheels. I had an idea that I wanted to go to one of the two C states - California or Colorado. In Las Vegas, I decided to go towards Colorado by way of Utah. The trip was one of the highlights of my life and I was reminded of it while watching this movie.

The young man in the movie was bound and determined to abandon his family and even changed his name to avoid being found. But at the end of the movie, he has the profound realization that "happiness is real when shared." It's true in many ways. I have all these memories of my adventure, yet I can never say to someone else, "Remember when I was riding in a car with two guys from the campground and I thought it might be the end of the road for me?" I have shared in this blog about my fight or flight tendencies. I guess I may never flee again without taking someone with me, it's more fun to share. Like Thelma & Louise, huh?

Another quote from the movie was, "To forgive is to love and to love is to feel the light of God." To harbor resentments and anger is so darkening to the soul. It's so close-minded. To forgive, we truly open ourselves up to love and light. Who wouldn't want that? Yes, we may want that, but too often the motivation to keep in the dark with our anger and resentments are more powerful than the opportunity for light and love. As I said yesterday, I have to ask, "what is it worth to me?"

No comments: