Monday, June 2, 2014

Highway 281 Milepost 1715 - 1920 The End!

I did it!  I did it!  :)

Eight days and a total of 2287 miles (includes side trips and miles trying to find hotels, food, gas, etc)!

Jamestown, ND   Went to Buffalo Museum first thing this morning. They have the only albino buffalo in captivity.  I did see her waaaaay in the distance, but I was lucky as there are signs all over with disclaimers that the buffalo are wild and roam the property....however you MAY not see them.  I felt lucky to see one buffalo and it was the albino.  I did see another 66 ton one....largest (man made) buffalo in the world!



At this museum I talked with one of the workers that asked me where I was from and after telling him about my trip, he said that northern North Dakota has gotten so much rain.  He mentioned Devil's Lake which Hwy 281 goes by, has raised 22 feet in past 15 years and they have spent over billion dollars on raising and moving roads.  

I left Jamestown in heavy clouds, rain drops and 58 degrees.  As I drove north I saw more and more evidence of water taking over farms.  

Milepost 1800    Devil's Lake.  I made a big mistake when I left Jamestown and did not get gas.  I had a quarter tank and figured I would get gas at next town.  Guess what?  I was so busy looking at the scenery that I forgot to get gas!  I noticed when the yellow gas light came on and I had 17 miles range.  Well, in looking at map and signs, I could go out of way 16 miles one way or about five or six miles the other way and hope they had gas station.  I started praying BIG TIME!
I drove to Minnewaukan and it looked quite small town and surrounded by the lake.  I noticed their welcome sign by highway showed a gas pump, so I was hopeful.  Once I drove into town, I was very much less hopeful.  I could see that town was about 3 streets wide and no gas station in sight.  I stopped by a bank and someone pulled in front of me.  I yelled at them, "Where is the gas station?"  "There is none," was the reply.  My next question was how far to get gas and the answer was not good.  "Miles."  

Oh my!!  I am in deep trouble!  I explained my stupidity and he said, "I have some gas at my place.  Follow me."  Famous last words, right?
I followed him a couple of blocks away and then he got a funnel and gas tanks.  I was elated, to say the least.  So he put in about four gallons in my car and as I was getting money out of my purse...he said, "Pay it forward."  I told him I would but I still insisted he take a $20.  I don't  know his name, but his licence plate said "1YANKEE" and had a New York Yankee sign on his garage.  I don't want to hear anyone say, "Damn Yankees" in my presence.  As it turned out, I had to drive 35 miles until the next town that had a gas station!

After getting gas and getting my wits back with me, I noticed several farms (house, garage, and barns) surrounded by water.  It was like they were on an island.  Very sad that these farms are losing their land to water.  I saw many roads going off the main highway that were closed due to water over them.  Below is a photo of business place with a little too much water.


Milepost 1906  Dunseith, ND.  Stopped here to get my passport out and ready for the border.  Do you think I could remember where I packed it?  Second panic moment of the day!!  Finally, I looked in the most logical place, my briefcase, and found it.  I am getting too old for these moments.  

Milepost 1920  International Peace Garden on the USA/Canada border.  I made it!  Spent about two hours enjoying the peace and quiet of the garden built by CCC in the 1930's.  They have a Peace Tower and Peace Chapel.  

As I was taking this photo, music started coming from somewhere!  It was so beautiful!  Speaking of beauty, I had been traveling 200+ miles in heavy clouds and rain.  I knew that I may have to wear my raincoat in the gardens, but I was OK with that.  Within 10 miles of the border, I thought I could see a break in the clouds and as I drove into the garden, the sun came shining through.  It felt like an answer to prayer, AGAIN!

After this I saw a sign for 911 Memorial.  It was an area that held several I-beams from the World Trade Center, contributed by Canada.  


As I was reading some of the information surrounding this display, I notice a flock of birds (white pelicans) flying overhead.  There were about 20 of them and as they got to where I was standing, they circled around once and then continued onward.  All of sudden, I sat down on the stone wall and sobbed....tears of gratitude! 

I wish I could show you more photos, but this hotel Wi-Fi is very slow.  I am now resting in Rugby, ND, the geographic center of North America.  Today, I also went over the North -South Continental Divide.

Well, this ends my Highway 281 blog.  I am now going to drive across Minnesota to Northern Wisconsin to see my mom.  Then on Saturday, she, my two sisters and I will cross back over Minnesota and South Dakota to Rapid City.  So, I will continue blogging.   Then on June 30th, hubby and I will be traveling about five weeks, so you are welcome to join our travels as I blog about that trip!  I am so blessed!  Life is Good!  God be with YOU wherever you travel in your journeys.

2 comments:

Robyn Austin said...

Way to go, Gypsy Woman!! How awesome! Drive safely to Mom's now :)

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful Rayna! So glad you made it through flooding streets, storms etc. You are one adventurous woman! Can't wait to see you Friday.
Love, Raylene