Sunday, June 1, 2014

HIghway 281 Milepost 1379 - 1715

Yep!  I put a few miles on the car today!  Started out in northern Nebraska and ended up in southern North Dakota - Jamestown.

Milepost 1428  Fort Randall dam on the Missouri River.  I forgot that I would be crossing Lewis & Clark trail too!   At one time there was a fort located on the river.  But now all that stands and only partially stands is a chapel.  The fort remains would be on this photo, bottom right.

Here is a photo of the part of the chapel.




Milepost 1447    I must have taken photos of a dozen or more barns today! The one below was on an old abandoned farm.  I was busy getting photos when a car pulls in the driveway.  I told the "elderly" gentleman what I was doing.  He said, "that's OK, a lot of people do that here.  I own this farm."  We had a nice chat, he told me about his problems with the VA (how time appropriate is that?).  He told me about finding his mother dead in a lawn chair right by the house we were at.  I told him about my trip and then he asked how old I was...."Oh, you're a brave young un!"  :)



Milepost 1490  Took a side trip to Mitchell SD.  Went to the Pre-Historic Indian Village.  I was the only one there so I got another personal tour of the place.  Of course, my guide wanted to show me everything so it was almost two hours (including the 20+ minutes film).  Did you know that pre-historic means it happened before there was a written language to document it? Below is a recreation of the lodges they made on the banks of the river here.


And inside the lodge


All the information on what these lodges were like was discovered through archaeological digs.  In fact they are still digging and I got to see that area.


I always thought that the hump on bison was full of fat or muscle, I never realized that it was another set of bone rising out of the spine!


Here's an example of a bull boat, made of one hide of the bison and stretched around wood frame.  Person would kneel in it and row across water.

Next quick stop in Mitchell was the Corn Palace.  I have been there before and I may be going again in a week or so, therefore I took a photo of one of the outside displays....made of corn and other crops.



Milepost 1540  Almost hit my first pheasant with car...too close for comfort.  I have heard that hitting a turkey is like hitting a moving bowling ball.  Pheasants are probably not as heavy, but then I don't want to hit a half-a-bowling-ball either!  Not too much further down the road, saw another pheasant.  Then....

Milepost 1570   Redfield - Pheasant Capital of the World.  

Milepost  1612 Aberdeen, SD  I had wanted to visit a museum here, but got here too late in day and tomorrow they are closed.  Another time.

Milepost 1646   North Dakota

Milepost 1708   First sighting of LILACS!  :)

Here's the road sign that I mentioned  in yesterday's blog.

If all goes well, I will complete my Highway 281 trip tomorrow with a visit to the International Peace Garden.  It's been seven days now & it feels like forever!  However, a positive and enlightening "forever."  

No comments: