Sunday, November 13, 2011

Old people

Vince Gill (singer/songwriter) was asked what made him start watching his weight.  He replied, "I came to the realization that you don't see a lot of really old heavy people.  So my goal is to be a skinny old man." 

How true that is!  I live in a subdivision that is for residents over 55 years and our church is full of old people that come to the Valley for the warm winters.  I don't either see a lot of really old heavy people.  So what does that say about my future as an old person?  It's not very promising! 

I get so focused on the unfairness of not being able to retire at 60 years, that I eat to make up for the unfairness.  It seems that I eat what and when I want, I can control that.  Other things in my life like my retirement funds and medical insurance costs seem out of control.  I can't deny I've been a "it's not fair!" person all my life.  I can't deny I've been a dream-of-the-future person all my life.  I have always had a hard time staying in the present and savoring the moments. Unless I am savoring the food of the moment. 

Part of me has given up hope for a lot of years ahead.  I've been told that I won't have enough money in retirement funds to last me 10 years, much less 20 years.  So I guess I spend my money and then let nature takes its course?  I don't know!! 

No comments: