Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Wild Women's Weekend

Well! Well, it's a deep subject. Heard that one before, have you? Again, well, it's been a while since I blogged and I have so many thoughts, it's hard to know where to start. This past weekend was my six sisters and my ninth annual sisters weekend, which we have titled, "Wild Women's Weekend."

First of all, I guess I'd have to say that I "fell off the wagon" this past weekend, I binged! I ate any and every kind of F food imaginable! I thought that with most of us sisters walking and/or in a weight loss program of some type, that the only kinds of food we would have at our sister's weekend would be healthy and nutritious. WRONG! I had to have my strawberry Twizzlers for my travel food, then we found an Amish bakery up the road that we unloaded about $60 total to them for candy, cookies, and pie. And then we went back there a second time on Saturday! I had tasted some of the candy that someone else bought on Friday so I bought two packages myself to take home. Last night as I was traveling by airplane to home, I was wondering what I was thinking buying all that candy to take home. Who was going to eat it? Me? Well, I knew that the candy was realllllly good and I was questioning myself if I could limit myself to one piece a day? Yet I promised myself that I would again eat healthy beginning today. I got home late (early this morning) about 1 AM, due to airline delays so I opened my suitcase long enough to check out the bag of chocolate chip cookies my friend, Vicki, sent with me for hubby. Everyone else, but me, makes him chocolate chip cookies.... that's a whole other blog subject. :)

Anyway, I put the cookies on the counter and left my suitcase on the dining room chair, figuring I would empty it today before work & stick the dirty clothes in the washer. This morning, after I moved the suitcase to the utility room, I felt a bite on my arm and hand. Lo and behold I had ants on me. It didn't take me more than a few seconds to figure out where those ants came from and I had a horrible thought, "They're in my candy, I bet!" Sure enough, my two packages of wonderfully, delicious candy were covered with ants! I guess I didn't have to worry about limiting myself to one piece of candy each day! Oh well, it's for the best for me, but I sure wish hubby could have tasted it.

I only walked one time in six days and that was an "accomplishment!" The small hamlet of a town that we were staying near had their first annual "stroll in the park" fun 5K run/walk on Saturday. All seven of us sisters participated and finished under an hour. It was fun as five of us had never done a 5K before. We even had our picture taken for the local newspaper, we all love attention.

Being with family can sometimes bring out the best in us and the worst in us! Why is that? Why does it seem sometimes that reason and logic go out the window when it comes to family? Is it because we know what "buttons" to push? Is it because we know each other so well that we don't think we have to be civil or tolerant of one another as we would with a stranger? Don't get me wrong, we didn't argue or fight all weekend. We just ..... had our moments.

I said something that one of my sisters took as sarcastic and/or accusatory and/or condescending .... and off we went to the "races." The race of which person can tell their side of the story and get the most other sisters to side with them? Yes, all of us sisters are thin-skinned in one way or another, another person can easily pierce our serenity and our sanity. In some respects I felt balanced this weekend being with family and in other respects I was way out of balance. It sure made home and hubby (and even work) look and feel wonderful after six days away!
Peace with you! Peace with me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rayna, why don't you have the guts to just use my name?? You weren't the only one who was so glad to get back home! Hope you six have fun next year in Texas!!

Rayna Delaney said...

I try not to use names in my blog, whether it's my hubby's name, my sister's name, names of foods, etc. Rayna