Sunday, May 12, 2019

Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day.  A day we honor all types of mothers....natural, step, adopted, foster, expectant, grand and god-mothers.  Our church pastors kindly included "women of faith" in the honorees today too. When I saw the title of today's sermon, "Scars," I was rather surprised.  But the pastor went on to speak of all the times mothers have been hurt due to being unheard and disrespected, creating scars on a women's heart.  Mothers wanting their children to grow up to be fine, upstanding Christian men and women.  It doesn't always work out that way and the mothers pray and cry for their children, young and adult.  

I am a godmother to two nephews, an honor I received many years ago. I was probably chosen more for being the aunt who's is never having children than my spiritual and Christian being.  Did I fulfill my responsibilities or obligations of being a godmother?  Did I send them birthday cards every year?  Not always.  Did I make sure their parents were taking them to church?  Not always.  Did I pray for them regularly?  Not always.

Was I a good godmother to them?  Not always.  I was often the mean aunt when I was disciplining them. I was the absentee aunt, who lived far away and did not attend their activities. I am guilty of neglect. I am sure many women are familiar with the thought and feeling that "I'm not doing enough."  This often leads to guilt.  Yes, guilt creates scars on the hearts of women too.  Scars aren't always what someone else has done to you, but what you have have not done for others, especially your children or in my case my godchildren.  

There was a redeeming message today. 
My job is to plant the seeds of faith and God's job to grow the seeds of faith.
Yes, there are things I have done that would be called "planting the seeds of faith." And yes, God did His job to grow the seeds of faith.  I am so blessed to be able to say that these two nephews have grown to be fine, up-standing men of Christian faith.  Thank you God for doing your job.  Thank you MOTHERS for doing your job with all the children of the world...planting the seeds of faith. 

 
 





   

No comments: