Thursday, May 11, 2017

Easy Does It

"Easy Does It" is usually affiliated with an anonymous program.  And maybe I should remain anonymous in my blog today.  I am one of those people that do things the hard way without realizing that a shift in direction or status can make things easier.  

Take for example, getting things out of my refrigerator.  





This lady could be me!  She has full capacity to open the door wide and look straight into the refrigerator.  But she is doing as I do, craning my neck and bending sideways to get things out of the refrigerator.  Any physical therapist will tell you to avoid side ways bending in daily activities.  Face your object frontally and squarely.  One of these days, I will get it right.

I did get it right with my cupboards and drawers, changing where things were located (see blog on April 11).  It is so much easier and makes sense now where I have things located.  

We had a covered waste basket in the master bathroom for years now.  It has a swinging cover that you move slightly and put your waste in the basket.  For years now, hubby has tried to get waste into basket by dropping it on the cover in hopes that the weight of the waste will open the swinging cover and deposit the waste in the basket.  Most of the time he is successful, but every week I am picking up pieces of waste on the floor around the basket.  Ugh!  

For some reason, I got to thinking about using an open waste basket in the master and the covered one in the guest bath.  Actually, I thought, my guest might not want to see the waste of other guests and the cover will keep all the waste out of sight.  So, I switched the baskets.  Voila!  The open basket in our bath has made it EASY for hubby to drop his waste INTO the basket.  

Something else I have done to make it easy and convenient for me is having a box of Kleenex in every room and two in the bedroom (one on each nightstand).  To some that may seem frivolous, but when you have respiratory and sinus issues, you often need a tissue NOW!  I am not using any more Kleenex than if I had one box in one room, my usage is distributed.  It sure is handy and easy to not have to run into another room when I am about to sneeze.  

I also keep a container of anti-bacterial wipes under each sinks so that I can wipe down the sink when I see it needs to be done.  Before, with just one container for the place, I would tend to forget to go and grab the wipes.  Then of course, I would remember when I saw the sink needed a wipe-down.  

You all probably know and do all these easy tips.  I guess I am not too old to learn new tricks/tips.  Now if I can just remember to open that refrigerator door wide open and look straight in, I might see those vegetables and salad fixings that I need to be eating.  Speaking of that, I bought a bag of salad - 4 kinds of lettuce already torn with carrots and radishes.  I read that even though buying your salad this way is more expensive, you are more likely to eat the salad.  Then, you are spending less money (and time) than buying everything separately and throwing away most of it.... as it's just not easy to fix a salad sometimes.  Easy does it! 


No comments: